Seekins box mag feeding issues

Gooseblitz

Hey guys I have a Seekins box mag on my custom 300 RUM. The shells slide up and out a little too easy. The top of the mag box on the front end seem too loose the rounds nose up early and anytime I haev more than 2 in the mag it casues issues. The extra spring pressure with 3,4 or 5 rounds loaded causes the rounds to push up too much and the second round gets inthe way of round above feeding.

Is there any science to tightening those feed lips? I leave for Africa in less than a month and dont want to muck up my mag box.

Last edited:
I have a five round Seekins Mag that I never did get to feed. Its in the junk heap. I have a three round that works perfect. You might be able to bend the lips and make it work but I doubt it. I also had to rework the mag release, it had to have metal added then re-worked to hold the mag up higher in the box otherwise the bolt would slide over the Rd and did not feed. I don't consider this to be Seekins fault. Custom rifles are all bedded a little different and it would be next to impossible to make bottom metal assemblies that would drop in perfect in every case.

I have been judicously using a squeeze clamp to slighlyt bend the lips down and monitor with my micrometer. Also putting a little squeeze the the top of mag walls at the front of the feed lips.
Seems to hold them in better.
I ran 5 rounds through without fail once half hour later not so good. It does better with 4 on mag and less spring pressure. I just put clamp on mag walls and leaving on for a day or two. feed lips only slightly compressed from .502 down to .48 or so. I think a little work I will be ok.

I wish someone made a polymer mag for this.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.