section on cooking what you kill?

ksgunguy

No sure were to look, but seeing how people cook what they kill.
Just looking for your favorite recipes to try out

thanks in advance

It is not always the case, If you can, try and leave the section of leg where you would cut a shank from on the bone. Then cook that the same way you would osso bucco, but cook it for about 5-6 hours. Im telling you, marrow and all, it is one of the best meals you will have.

My favorite way to cook back strap is to cut it into 1.5-2" cuts. Salt and pepper, and in a smokin hot skillet melt 1/2 stick of butter and 2tbsp olive oil. Cook the cuts 2 min a side in the skillet, while spooning the butter and olive oil over the meat. Finish in the over for 4 min at 400 degrees. Its unbelievable.

When I make ground with a deer, i typically will cut off all the fat and the silver seam (which gives in the gamey taste) and mix in 15% pork fat. This year I had someone tell me to mix in 30%......bacon. Highly recommend this one....HIGHLY.

When I make ground with a deer, i typically will cut off all the fat and the silver seam (which gives in the gamey taste) and mix in 15% pork fat. This year I had someone tell me to mix in 30%......bacon. Highly recommend this one....HIGHLY.

Just keep in mind that pork/pork fat reduces the freezer life of the product. No problem if you don't carry this over more than the time allowed. The type and method of packaging before it goes into the freezer is also a major player in shelf liFE IMO.

Just keep in mind that pork/pork fat reduces the freezer life of the product. No problem if you don't carry this over more than the time allowed. The type and method of packaging before it goes into the freezer is also a major player in shelf liFE IMO.
Plastic Wrapped and doubled butcher paper wrapped. I've heard that before as well, but like the taste of pork fat over beef fat in burgers. How long are you keeping the meat frozen for? I am a little over a year and have no run into this?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.