Seating primers with a press or by hand

Methow Packer

Question. What would be the most important reason to seat primers by hand instead of say a RCBS rock chucker press. I assume it is controlling how much pressure is applied. Other than that would you say no difference? I would think a guy could be carful enough using a press if that was the main reason.

Many thanks Ted

Question. What would be the most important reason to seat primers by hand instead of say a RCBS rock chucker press. I assume it is controlling how much pressure is applied. Other than that would you say no difference? I would think a guy could be carful enough using a press if that was the main reason.

Many thanks Ted
I currently use the press and have no problem with anything. I am going to buy a hand primer just for speed of it, I can size and deprime pretty quick then I can sit in my recliner and hand prime while watching Megan Kelly on fox news lol....

I seat primers with the rcbs hand primer. It's stupid fast, and you get a better feel versus the press. If you have been seating with a press, and haven't tried a hand primer you are really missing out. Imo.

i have both, honeslty i prefer the press. i feel like it is more consistant in depth. but on the other hand, i never load more than 20 or so rounds at a time. if i was to do 300 rounds of 223, then definate hand primer

I currently use the press and have no problem with anything. I am going to buy a hand primer just for speed of it, I can size and deprime pretty quick then I can sit in my recliner and hand prime while watching Megan Kelly on fox news lol....

Or any of the fox girls for that matter....

"hand prime while watching Megan Kelly" hmm. I didn't realize how that sounds when I typed it.. I'm a dirty man.. LoL.

Many thanks Ted

Can someone out there shed some light on this question? Why hand pressing primers is best. Don't you simply seat them to the bottom with enough pressure to get the job done? Is an Auto press too aggressive? Is it best to feel the primer seat with as little pressure possible?

everybody is pretty much saying that you can feel the primer seat in the pocket better with a hand primer and its fast, but if you DON'T seat primers with your press like your sizing brass you'll be fine. Its really just personal preference... I never noticed a difference in performance with either. But I have ruined and lost primers using my press...

When I was a youngster (yep, I am now a DOM) and began reloading, I used the primer arm on my Rockchucker. Later I bought a Lee Autoprime with the round plastic tray that holds about 25 primers. I later heard problems about all those primers exploding and causing massive injuries, and decided a single stage primer tool would be safer. I bought a K&M and have never looked back. Never had a problem with the K&M, and yes, I can feel the primers bottom better.

I use the RCBS hand press and prefer it. I can feel how easy the primer goes in and it is much quicker. I've never had anything break on it and it always function correctly.

I always check the primer depth twice. Immediately after seating and when I flip them in my tray. I think only one time did I find one that was not seated deep enough.

I have used the Rockchucker to seat primers. I did loose some, press some in sideways or upside down.

Hey, Methow Packer, great question you posted here.

Circa 1961 - When I began reloading it was to save money on hunting and plinking ammo. I used the press exclusively. It was essentially a one step process. Install the FL resizing/decapping die (complete with neck resizer), run the brass up to resize and decap; hold it in place and insert a primer, pull it down to seat the primer and remove the case. There - it's all done. Using a hand primer seating tool in those days didn't make much sense.

Fast Forward 1965 and beyond -
Since I got interested in competition shooting I've gotten somewhat more finicky about how my loads work. Now it's body dies, neck sizing mandrels, primer pocket cleaner/reamer, hand priming tools, etc.
Point is, it's going to depend on what you want in terms of net result. Either method will work just fine. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.