Seating primers

BigBuck,

To answer your question, no, I don't use the RCBS tool. I've used the Sinclair for some time now, and before that used one of the Lee hand primers. I haven't used the K&M but it lloks to be a very well designed and built tool. Not really the issue, as the method isn't nearly as important as some of the other considerations that go into this. Trying various brands and types of primers can make a huge difference in LR ammo, and is something that needs to be determined on target. Sorting primers by lot takes up a considerable amount of time for most serious Long Range shooters, as different lots can perform very differently. Makes a difference, and enough that the time is well spent to find a consistent lot. I don't shoot BR, but I do shoot LR prone, and this is something that's critical to us in that venue. I would think it'd be even more so for a BR shooter, given the more solid shooting platform.

Either way, getting primers seated properly isn't a major trick, and so long as it's done correctly, the other factors (such as those I mentioned) will make a much greater difference in the overall load and the accuracy on target.

Right now I am using Federal 215 Match primers . I will definately try some other match brands and see if I can improve .
Note : I wasnt trying to be arrogant.
Thanks Kevin

This is a shocking response to the rational information Kevin put out(for our benefit).
bigbuck are you so proud of your +3/4moa as to suggest it can't be improved on?
Just what specifically does your implication here mean to anyone, about anything?
What do you actually know about primer seating, other than "I bottom out the handle on every primer that I seat"?

" bigbuck are you so proud of +3/4 moa "
I went and shot this 3 different days and conditions so yes I am proud of this group . See this is my first year to try and shoot 500, 600 800 and 1000 YRDS . I feel that if I was doing something extremely wrong then I wouldnt be shooting Under MOA but I am willing to try new things .

To clarify I asked kevin a question and then so know one would react as you did I put a :):):):):)--------:D

BigBuck,

Ah, it wasn't taken that way, don't sweat it from this end.

By all meaqns, try some different combinations. At short range, primers are kind of a "fine tunig" mechanism. At the long lines, they can be seriously critical as to what works, and what results in "patterns" instead of groups.

BigBuck,

Ah, it wasn't taken that way, don't sweat it from this end.

By all meaqns, try some different combinations. At short range, primers are kind of a "fine tunig" mechanism. At the long lines, they can be seriously critical as to what works, and what results in "patterns" instead of groups.

Thanks kevin . Sometimes I send texts to friends of mine and I read it and I think I hope they dont take that the wrong way. My writing skills are pretty aweful .

Texting and forums can some times appear that the person has an bad attitude .

Happy shooting gun)

Well, I have an RCBS and I've seated thousands of primers with no issue whatsoever. Feel is a tenuious thing that varies from end user to end user. I know when my primer is seated but then you may not because you 'feel' differently than I do.

I always 'feel' the top of the cup in relationship to the case head with my finger as a matter of safety. Don't want any high primers.

I like to sit in my lazyperson chair and prime while the missus watches Storage Wars or some mundane program.....

I think you guys are reading a bit more into the procedure than whats necessary IMO. IOW, don't complicate something thats not complex.

This is the same way that I was taught by my dad . He has always used the RCBS press and taught me to feel the cup as well . Another way is set them down on a flat surface and if the primer is high the case will rock around a bit before settling down but I prefer to feel the top pf the cup like you are doing .

Well, I have an RCBS and I've seated thousands of primers with no issue whatsoever. Feel is a tenuious thing that varies from end user to end user. I know when my primer is seated but then you may not because you 'feel' differently than I do.

I always 'feel' the top of the cup in relationship to the case head with my finger as a matter of safety. Don't want any high primers.

I like to sit in my lazyperson chair and prime while the missus watches Storage Wars or some mundane program.....

I think you guys are reading a bit more into the procedure than whats necessary IMO. IOW, don't complicate something thats not complex.

set back and wait. I'm going to dig around here (my place has become a giant junk pile) and find one of these little bittey collet devices, and send you one and a picture. I measure seating depth with it. So simple and easy to use that you laugh about it. I've actually built two of them. One for checking primer seating depth to the face, and the other is to check primper pockets.
gary

So i have a question.. how far should the primer seat into the pocket.. should some extend passed the pocket.. or should they all be inside the primer pocket.. i have a hand priming tool and i also use a primer pocket uniformer.. so i know my pockets are uniform.. any help wilk be good thanks

Kaseyfied,

You're sort of focused on the wrong end here; the bottom of the primer's the important part. Take care of that, and the base of the cup will take care of itself.

You need to make sure that the primer is fully seated in the primer pocket, with the anvils flat within the pocket. You want a bit of a "pre-load" on the compound, slightly crushing it to sensitize it properly. Do this, and you'll find that the cup is now seated several thousandths below the case head in a properly dimensioned case. In practice, I usually wind up holding the case inverted, between my thumb and middle finger, and drawing my index finger across the now seated primer. You should be able to discern a noticeable "dip" as the finger passes over it. Given just a bit of expereince with this, you'll develop a thoroughly educated sense of touch that will tell you that the primer is seated correctly, or in need of some extra attention.

What you really want to avoid, especially if you're loading for a semi-auto, is any sort of primer protrusion above the case head. Misfires at best, slam fires at worst, and a host of other problems in between those extremes should you fail on this account. Check 'em, make sure they're below the case head and well bottomed within the pocket. Do that, and you're good to go!

All primers should be bottomed in pockets, and all should rest below the casehead (not protuding from).

Last edited:
well I am usin lapua brass for my 338 lapua mag.. and my primers go byond the case head now.. thatswhy I ask I know tey need to fully seat on the bottem.. but at the same time I should not have my primer above the case head.. its weird.. and like I said I fully compress the hand priming tool from rcbs.. and I still happens.. driving me insane really.. I use a sinclair primer pocket uniformer.. so I am at a loss I guess.. and it happens with cci, match and standard federals..

kasey

Kasey,

Not sure what the issue with the Federals might be, as they usually seat quite easily. The CCIs, however, are well known as being among the "largest" primer on the market, perhaps a few tenths larger than most other brands. They're usually a bit harder to seat than say, Federals or Winchesters. I've known shooters to switch over to CCIs to gt an extra firing or two out of brass in which they'd stretched primer pockets. NOT recommending this, merely saying, I've seen it done. Either way, they DO tend to need a bit more force to seat than other brands.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.