Seating Die: This Happened

Your die is not properly adjusted. It is trying to crimp the neck and seat the bullet deeper at the same time. Something has to give and that something is the neck.

For most rifles, especially bolt action, crimping is not needed. Some people want a taper crimp in autoloaders to prevent the violent action of chambering from seating the bullet deeper. I don't ever crimp and have never had a problem.

To adjust your die so it does not crimp, back the die out a turn or two and run a sized and empty case all the way up on the ram. Then turn the die down until it just makes contact with the neck. Turn it back out a half turn or so and lock it down. This will seat bullets without crimping.
Either what he said or you didn't trim, brass could be too long.

I was loading a dummy round no primer and no powder to check COAL and magazine compatibility and this happened when I cammed over the press with the Hornady seating die. I was able to extract the bullet. I'm a newbie but I guess I learned use only enough pressure on seating die to seat the bullet?
You have to put you brass in a shell holder and and lover the arm and the put you seating die in until you feel little resistance after back out the die 1 full turn

If you ever load for older cartridges, such as the 25-20, the case necks are so thin that sometimes this is the norm, not the exception. Reloading takes a lot of patience sometimes.

I was loading a dummy round no primer and no powder to check COAL and magazine compatibility and this happened when I cammed over the press with the Hornady seating die. I was able to extract the bullet. I'm a newbie but I guess I learned use only enough pressure on seating die to seat the bullet?
I may have missed it in another post but did you resize the case before trying to seat the bullet. May have nothing to do with your die not in the press correctly if you resized without the expander in the resizing die. This happens if you resize without the expander and use a mandrel to resize the neck and forget that step. Not all seating does do the crimping also. What caliber were you checking?

All the above, but also have done that(especially with non boat tail gullets cuz not enough chamfer on neck inside

That is funny and i'm rollin laughing... You have to adjust the die !!! LOLOL

been there done that ;)
Just be careful as i've also done it just a tiny bit, so that it wasn't super noticeable without careful inspection...but when i got to the range the rounds wouldn't chamber as the case was bulged just a tad. Now that you know you "probably" won't do it again :)

I've been reloading for 45 yrs and about 8 months ago I had an oops ! Moment. I had bought a new press. I was loading some 6.5 PRC. I adjusted the sizer die to new press/case. Sized 10 cases. Primed. Dumped powder. Seated 10 bullets. Put them in case box 1 by 1. Went to range next day. Couldn't chamber the first round ? I pulled it out to look at. WHAT THE @#$& ! I crushed the shoulder on all ten rounds..
ADG cases. I forgot to set the bullet seater die ! I punched myself in the jaw. Twice. They looked just like the OP's case. I couldn't believe I didn't notice when putting them in the case holder... Glad I had other rifles to shoot. Getting old is fun.
NOT !

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.