Seating Depth Rule of Thumb?

Ghost7

Recently purchased a new barrel with a tighter twist (Hawk Hill 8 twist in .243) so that I could shoot the 105 Hybrid. My old barrel was a 9 1/4 twist that would stabilize the 105 Amax and shoot it very well. My Amax load was .005" off the lands. The hybrid in the new barrel doesn't seem to like it that close to the lands, it seems to like it about .020" off the lands. That being said I have a little more work to do with the hybrid but have a fairly decent load for now. I have several Amax bullets left and starting loading them for the new barrel. I've tried many powder charges seated at .005" off with less than desirable results. Finally the question: Do most bullets like similar seating depths in different chambers? I know that every gun is different but for example just about everything I have read on the hybrids is that they like it anywhere from .015" to .060" off the lands, this seems to hold true for me as well. Do Amax bullets like it close? Can you theoretically categorize bullets like the Amax and safely say they like it close? Or does it just depend on each individual gun? Appreciate any input.

I don't claim to be an expert at all but as far as I can tell there isn't much rhyme or reason to where each barrel will want each bullet. I have seated them anywhere from .005'' jammed to .125'' jumped. As near as I can tell you just have to start shooting and find out.

Nothing is set in stone, but I've found 6.5 and 7mm Amaxs to like seating close, but I always run a test to be sure. I've also found the same with Berger hvlds. The hybrids --- you never know. The great thing about the hybrids is if they need jump to fit a magazine, they are good at it.

As per your last question - yes, each gun has its own preferences, and your job is to find them. The Berger 105 hybrids shoot best in my Dasher with .030" jump. But others are just the opposite, and like to be jammed. You need to experiment, making one reloading change at a time.

Yes, I find a charge it likes then adjust depth. I was just trying to anticipate how much I was going to have to play with it. Basically hoping that I could find something close to the lands and not possibly get as far as .025" off for the sake of powder, time and barrel life.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.