SCOVILL

DONTSTROKEME

Has anyone ever used these calibers? I am looking into either the 338 Scovill or the 375 Scovill. I am thinking that it might be kind of a neat one off gun. Anyone know where the dies are available? Or if anyone has the reamers?
Any gunsmiths that would be up to barreling it?

Joe Oakes

Well here you go, since no one has responded, the skinny on the Scovill. 338 Scovill = 338-06 AI (Ackley improved)Its just a 30-06 necked up to 338 and improved. Midway has the dies listed under "Obscure Calibers" The reamer can be rented for the 338-06 imp 40 deg.

Have fun,

Dave

if i remember these were developed in conjunction with fred zeglin, and based on the 9.3x62 rather than the 30-06. you might check out the z-hat website for information.

metricman

Had one made on a G series Model 70 long action by Mark Penrod. 23 inch 1:10 twist Lilja #3 contour. Using Hornady 200 gr softpoints has been deadly on game. Sub MOA accuracy with IMR 4895 200gr or less with RL-15 for 210 and 225 Nosler Partition. Field trials on WT deer in SC 3 one shot kills bang-flop. A 300 lb hog shot through the lungs at 150 yds ran 60 yds before keeling over. No feeding problems. I love it. I use reformed Norma 35 Whelen brass and WLR primers. It's a keeper.

Never heard of them... But I do have some true hot sauce (not extract) that blows the lid off the Scoville Scale... It's made from a new pepper called Pepper-X. Look it up if you like hot stuff, if not, steer-clear! :D

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.