Scope rings: steel vs aluminum vs alloy

Feenix, I went to Murphy's and on scope rings it says products coming soon. Are they refering to web page being updated w/pic and info soon or do the rings actually not exist yet?

I emailed Murphy's and this is what Cameron Murphy emailed back:

We currently have 34mm rings in Stainless Steel, or Titanium, with a height of 0.825" We are starting another batch of rings shortly, in 1.00" and 1.20" sizes. Pricing is $175.00 for stainless, and $265.00 for titanium. Pricing for the bases are $137.60 for stainless, and $193.60 for titanium. As we discussed over the phone, I will need some measurements from you to complete the base. The other option, if you have an existing mount, would be to send it to me, and I could take the measurements I need directly from that. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Klee

Klee, Thanks for the info. Kinda pricey but I guess it isn't easy machining titanium. Would be nice once they post some pics on their website.

Klee, Thanks for the info. Kinda pricey but I guess it isn't easy machining titanium. Would be nice once they post some pics on their website.

Yeah, I have no idea what the Murphy's look like either. I'm sitting here in front of the computer while I measure my clearances for the 50mm objective over the rifle barrel. The stainless rings @ .825" high with a Picatinny base thats 0.4" thick would give a real good clearance of 0.1" of my 50mm objective over the barrel. But that's some big bucks for the stainless or the titanium. Looking at EGW bases that are priced pretty good but they don't have the 34mm rings. I don't want to mix different metals of bases to rings, just doesn't feel right.

Klee

TGIF

On another note, my buddy is ready to pull the trigger on the NightForce 5.5-22x56mm from a gun shop in Idaho. But he has to decide whether to get the scope or get a root canal from the dentist- He is leaning towards just yanking the tooth and getting the scope. Now that's hard core!! I told him to bop on down to south of the Border for the tooth that way he could do both. That Dentist doesn't need another payment for his Cessna covered.

My 8 year old son is here checking the Burris 6x he just inherited now that I have retired it.

Klee

TGIF!!

I just ordered a set of Stainless steel rings and picatinny base with 10MOA cant from Murphy precision. I opted for the stainless over titanium for several reasons, money, weight ( a plus for recoil), and coefficient of expansion. It was a very tough decision whether to spend the extra money for the titanium. On one hand I wanted the 6 oz's of weight savings and on the other I wanted the extra weight for recoil absorbsion, you can't have your cake and eat it too as they say. The kicker was the expansion rate differences between the aluminum scope body and the the titanium rings. The stainless more closely matches the aluminum expansion rates so that was the deciding factor.

On another note: I ordered the .825 high rings to get my scope as low as possible. But because of the Premier has an extended rounded housing "bulge" on the scope tube and under the turrets the scope touches the the picatinny base. Cameron at Murphy is sending me the scope and rings to have me mark where he mill out the area where the scope touches the base. He only has to mill about 3 of the "teeth" and only about 50 thousands of an inch on those 3 teeth. It won't affect the strength of the base at all. and it shouldn't interfere with how far back or foward I move the scope on the base ( you can only move it so far no matter if it is milled or not). If I ordered a 1" high ring it would not be an issue. I think I will like the trade off of having the scope lower though.

Also Cameron sent me a picture of the rings and base- They are exceptionally good looking. I can't post it as I am away from my personal computer for a few weeks. But if anyone is interested just email Murphy Precision for the picture.

Klee

here are are some pics of the Murphy Precision's picatinny base and rings in Titanium (0.825 ring height). I chose to go with stainless with a dark gun coat finish.

murphytitaniumringsandb.jpg

murphytitaniumrings.jpg

Klee

I have moved from Burris signature rings to the XTR rings, I now have 4 sets on various rifles & don't plan to use anything else. I am having extremely good luck with them; last set up was with Badger 20moa base on a custom .338 RUM, good fit & holds great; I don't think you will be disappointed if you choose the XTR's.

Why do you like the XTR better than the Signature rings?

MOA inserts, for a start.

And oh yeah...titanium has a lower expansion co-efficient than aluminum.

Less than steel, even, if the Ti-alloy is Richard Near spec ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.