steel vs aluminum in temp swings

338ojf

steel is stronger alum is lighter, but I wonder can alum. expand/contract enough(faster/more) then steel to have POI changes at 90deg and 10deg that are wayoff of 60deg sightin?? given of course velocity/BC change have been accounted for!

What makes oyo believe that Alminm rigs and bases are weak? They are not. I have never ever experience or heard of point of impact change becase of contraction or lack of contraction of bases and or rings

not weak but not as strong lb per lbs IE a 1inch square piece of steel would be stronger(to bend, dent etc etc) then same sized aluminum, I really just what do know if aluminum is thermaly stable enough to not move(change size because of tempature) POI in temp extremes? Clearer? thanks in advance

Pound for pound Aluminum would be strong than steel for sure..

As I allready stated I have never heard of or experience any such problem. The Aircraft grade Aluminum used is extremely strong

The scope tubes are made of aluminum so if the thermally stable is an issue it affects the scope no matter if is it in steel ring or aluminum. The way I look at it is if the scope is aluminum and your rings are aluminum they will constrict and expand at the same rate. Most of my scopes I have use aluminum rings and I have no issues not to say I have issue with the steel.

I also look at it like this. If the tactical rings like Nightforce or Badger get damaged by a fall most likely the scope would be damage by the fall if they were in steel or aluminum.

Mike @ CSGW

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.