Scope options

Rem700addict

Since this summer I have finally got the funds to enter the AR world and have put together a 6.5 Grendel with a Radical firearms 24" upper and PSA lower with magpul grip and stock. I have only had it at the range one time with a box of Hornady match ammo, and it actually shot real well I was real happy since this is not a high dollar AR. My question is what kind of scopes are you guys running for your AR that you can still plink out to the long range but keep the bulk and size to a minimum? Right now I switched my Buckmaster 6-18x-40mm over to my AR and i'm not sure I like the size and weight it adds. Right now shooting will be mainly from 100-650yds with the range I have to shoot at also I would like to know about scopes in the $600 and under class. Thanks

On my 6.5 Grendel, I'm running an SWFA SS fixed power with the MilQuad reticle, sitting in a Vortex CM-202 mount.

Last edited:
On my 6.5 Grendel, I'm running an SWFA SS fixed power with the MilQuad reticle, sitting in a Vortex CM-202 mount.

These scopes are available till the end of today from SWFA for $259.00 they come with rings and a bubble level. I bought 2 of the 12 powers.

Don Dunlap

I have a Bushnell AR Optic on my custom AR and love it. its a 4x12x40mm with side parallax adjustment. Clicks are positive, repeatable, and its a tough well built scope. Glass is also clear compared to my higher end Nikon monarchs. Its a steal for $225 dollars. Sometimes you can find them on sale for $189.

Bushnell® AR Optics 3-12x40 Riflescope w/ Drop Zone 223 BDC Reticle FREE S&H

Not sure how the .223 BDC will work with the 6.5 though.....

AR's because of the straight buffer tube need a higher optic to keep from scrunching up trying to look thru the scope this rail is a great fix it gives you the extra hight you need and 20 MOA slope. I run this rail on all my AR's if they are getting a scope just for the comfort. I like the Burris PEPR scope mounts they are a good mount for the money.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...&m=Y&c3api=1876,92051678402,&is=REG&A=details

I have two luepold Mark AR 6-18's I like a great deal, I just picked up a Burris MTAC 4.5-14 for my kids AR that so far I like but I haven't mounted it because it's a Christmas present. Midway the other day had a couple Vortex scopes on a Black Friday sale that looked like they would fit the bill for your use.

Kansaswoodguy, I definitely need one of those scope mounts to get the proper eye level. I've been looking at the Prostaff 7's they seem to fit my needs. I still do like the looks of the bushnell ar scope as well as the Nikon p223. I like that the Prostaff 7 comes in a 3-12x magnification, the extra range seems nice as well as a 30mm tube.

Don't knock the cheap ar for accuracy my best ar and one of my best shooting rifles is a blem psa lower and a psa upper in 300blk. I can shoot 5 shot .39" groups with my first load work up. As for scopes on that I run a 2.5x10 Nikon and love it for overall hunting. Now to go out to the distance you want and still have a usable ar at close distance for hunting check the link below. I have this on my 6.5 creed and love it. I was wanting it to hunt close up to 800 and it fits the bill nicely and is light for the power.

Bushnell® Elite 6500 2.5-16x50mm Waterproof Riflescope w/ Rain Guard FREE S&H 652165M, 652165MD. Bushnell® Rifle Scopes.

My brother has one of the Nikon P223 scopes with the external nobs and hates it for his hunting Rig gun he complains about the nobs spinning on him. It's fine for occasional shooting but if your carrying the rifle a lot those nobs may annoy you. If you go with that Prostaff 7 with the BDC retical you can get on Nikons website plug in your bullisitic info and get a custom hold chart printed for your gun. My brother did that then shrank it down small enough to laminate and tape to the underside of his flip up caps.

In that price range I would look at

The leupold vx-3i either 3.5 to 10 or 4.5 to 14 for hunting. Great glass and light weight

The vortex HS-T or PST either 2.5 to 10 or 4 to 16 for all the tactical features

I got to look at a Burris Mtac today and it seemed like a great scope with great features, good reticle, 30mm tube, and clear glass. Does anyone have any experience with this scope?

I use a Mark 4, 4.5-14, duplex reticle.
I think the vx3 would be good. Could not get my picture to upload right side up. But you can see how it looks on the rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_20161207_204616265.jpg
    IMG_20161207_204616265.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 74
Well I ended up purchasing the Burris Mtac in 4.5x12x42. I hope it turns out to be a good scope, with all the options that it had and the fact I really liked the glass and reticle as well as the scope adjustments seemed crisp. Now to just get a 30mm mount. Hopefully I will get to run it through it's paces after Christmas, I will try to put an update as to how it performs. Thanks for the replies guys, and E. Dailing I would love to have a Mark 4 maybe one day i'll save up some money and get one once all 5 of my kids have left the house, lol!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.