Daniel Defense DDM4V7 Accuracy Issue and Options

kendallhadden

Hello everyone!

About a year ago I decided I wanted an AR to do some varmint/predator/hog hunting with. After researching about a month I decided on a DDM4V7 because I read that their accuracy and dependability were some of the best. As a preface, I have shot USBR competitions for years and consider myself to be a well above average shooter.

When I first received the DD, the first thing I notices was the trigger. Now I have to say, this was my first AR platform, but this trigger was horrible compared to what I was use to on my bolt guns and I'm not talking about my bench guns. I'm talking about my hunting guns. Needless to say the groups I fired at 100yds were pathetic. I did let a friend shoot the AR and he said that the trigger was about right for an AR, so my first step was to install a Giessele SSA-E Trigger.

I'm thinking with this change, it will tighten my groups up and it did some but still not acceptable. In my opinion for this gun 1 MOA is acceptable, but I wasn't getting anywhere near that. We are talking 3-4in groups at 100 yards with a Nikon Monarch 3 6-24x50 scope. I even tried different scopes and rings with the same outcome.

During all these changes I was also trying different grain and name ammo. Still pretty much the same. Some better, some worse. I then contacted Daniel Defense. They said that I needed to try 69 grain or above for the 1 in 7 barrel. Well guess what, those were virtually impossible to find at the time. I did eventually find some Fiochi loaded with 69gr Sierra Match and PMC loaded with 69gr FMJ. The 69gr Sierra's shot ok with one group in the sub MOA grouping but still most were over 1 MOA. The 69gr FMJ were around 2MOA all at 100yds.

So my questions - Is this acceptable? Are most AR's that finicky about ammo? Did I get a lemon? Should I take it to Daniel Defense and let them check it out (they are about 90 miles from me)? Should I change the barrel?

My thinking is that it's not accurate enough to hunt predators/varmints with.

Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Blessings!
kwh

kwh,

A few things about terminology here; ARs are, and were built up as military weapons, and 3 MOA is what's required for accuracy from both gun and ammunition. So yes, there's a huge amount of variation out there in ammo and what's considered "acceptable." On the flip side, the AR design is an inherently accurate one, and the potential they have is simply amazing. I shoot Service Rifle (have for many years), and guns we use in that game start at around 1/2 MOA before we'd consider them "acceptable." I've seen many that will do far better than this, but they need to be built from the ground up to do this. Match barrel, free floated and a true Match trigger. The Gieselle takes care of that, and they're the cream of the crop among AR Service Rifles. The barrel is most likely your weak spot here. With the entire line of DD fore ends, you're already free floated, so we're back to the barrel again.

I would suggest taking a look at your ammunition first, as a good match round should show you what the rifle is capable of. For starters, forget FMJs. They're usually the least accurate of all configurations, with HPBTs generally being the most accurate. Start there. The various 69's, 75's, and 77's should give give results, as in 1/2 MOA or better if the rifle is up to it. wring those out, and if the rifle still isn't performing where you think it should, it may be time to look at a better quality (as in "Match") barrel.

I have the V7 and it is a GREAT tactical/three gun type rifle. I have never even put it on a bag or bench because it is just not what I bought it for.

I can rarely keep an AR with standard trigger even close to MOA (and I have a few). I have had good luck with the Timneys in AR's (.308 and .223) and it makes a world of difference.

I have an RRA Varminter (heavy stainless free float) with a Timney and a Viper 6.5-20X that is just under MOA with good factory ammo, I honestly have been too lazy to work up a load for it, it kills yotes and p-dogs just fine with Hornady Varmint ammo.

All that being said, since you have tried trigger and good ammo, contact DD, they are great to deal with. That rifle should shoot better than that period.

Hello everyone!

About a year ago I decided I wanted an AR to do some varmint/predator/hog hunting with. After researching about a month I decided on a DDM4V7 because I read that their accuracy and dependability were some of the best. As a preface, I have shot USBR competitions for years and consider myself to be a well above average shooter.

When I first received the DD, the first thing I notices was the trigger. Now I have to say, this was my first AR platform, but this trigger was horrible compared to what I was use to on my bolt guns and I'm not talking about my bench guns. I'm talking about my hunting guns. Needless to say the groups I fired at 100yds were pathetic. I did let a friend shoot the AR and he said that the trigger was about right for an AR, so my first step was to install a Giessele SSA-E Trigger.

I'm thinking with this change, it will tighten my groups up and it did some but still not acceptable. In my opinion for this gun 1 MOA is acceptable, but I wasn't getting anywhere near that. We are talking 3-4in groups at 100 yards with a Nikon Monarch 3 6-24x50 scope. I even tried different scopes and rings with the same outcome.

During all these changes I was also trying different grain and name ammo. Still pretty much the same. Some better, some worse. I then contacted Daniel Defense. They said that I needed to try 69 grain or above for the 1 in 7 barrel. Well guess what, those were virtually impossible to find at the time. I did eventually find some Fiochi loaded with 69gr Sierra Match and PMC loaded with 69gr FMJ. The 69gr Sierra's shot ok with one group in the sub MOA grouping but still most were over 1 MOA. The 69gr FMJ were around 2MOA all at 100yds.

So my questions - Is this acceptable? Are most AR's that finicky about ammo? Did I get a lemon? Should I take it to Daniel Defense and let them check it out (they are about 90 miles from me)? Should I change the barrel?

My thinking is that it's not accurate enough to hunt predators/varmints with.

Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Blessings!
kwh

KWH,
Hornady makes 75g BTHP that a brutally accurate in a 1-8 18" barrel I have. Like 1.25-2""@ 300yds and SUB MOA @ 100yds. They have them on "ammoseek.com" Try them before you give up. If no joy check out Tonyscustoms.com and he has 22" SS HVY barrels for $200. Thats what I am using.

Jimbo

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts