Scope Mount vs Rings

James K.

I have very little experience with mounting optics, i have a fat wrench & some torque bits....& youtube, lol.
What is the best route to mount a Leupold VH-6 3-18X44 scope to my newly acquired Bergara Ridgeback Premier Pro 300 Win Mag...….
I like the idea of the 1 piece mounts, I recently mounted a Burris PEPR on my AR 15, (first time mounting any optic) but will a 100.00 mount
like that be able to take the recoil & rigors for this dedicated Elk Rifle?
I stumbled onto the Spuhr mounts & while they are built like a tank the $400.00 is pretty steep.
I like the idea of the Nightforce Direct Mount but the center rail is not quite as robust....any thoughts that one??……
Or should i stick with something more traditional like a picatinny rail & Back Country Rings from Leupold or maybe the Burris XTR Signature Rings?
The XTR rings look very nice but i am concerned that it would be too easy to get the wrong cant with the inner ring inserts...
Any comments / suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

• Bergara.Ridgeback.Premier.Pro..jpg
    Bergara.Ridgeback.Premier.Pro..jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 365
  • LEUPOLD.VH.6HD.jpg
    LEUPOLD.VH.6HD.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 281
  • Nikon.223.jpg
    Nikon.223.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 480
I am a diehard believer in picatinny rail and top grade rings. However, there is something to be said for one piece mounts and that it reduces the number of connection points. Theoretically, making the mounting system less prone to becoming lose...maybe. And, increasing the rigidity of the mount.

P.S. I do run a DNZ one piece mount on a couple of guns, one rifle and one slug gun and have had no issues.

My two cents - 1) I bought the Leupold Back Country rings, however, they had terrible alignment and would have taken a lot of lapping. I ended up doing a rail and Warne rings (not expensive at all and alignment was perfect)
2) I like picatinny rails, but I was trying to keep my hunting rifles below a certain weight, so every ounce counts.
3) My brother has those Hawkins Precision Hybrid (2 pc) rings ( ~$115) with a built in 25 MOA. Alignment was perfect and was an easy installation. (I'm thinking of converting my two hunting rifles)

My two cents - 1) I bought the Leupold Back Country rings, however, they had terrible alignment and would have taken a lot of lapping. I ended up doing a rail and Warne rings (not expensive at all and alignment was perfect)
2) I like picatinny rails, but I was trying to keep my hunting rifles below a certain weight, so every ounce counts.
3) My brother has those Hawkins Precision Hybrid (2 pc) rings ( ~$115) with a built in 25 MOA. Alignment was perfect and was an easy installation. (I'm thinking of converting my two hunting rifles)
Thank you so much, i will take a look at those Hawkins......that ridgeback is already 10lbs with nothing on it.....so i will eating my Wheaties this summer, lol

thanks for the warning on the backcountry rings......i will try to stay away from lapping if i can...…its above my skillset for now.....& i would hate to botch it up.

I am a diehard believer in picatinny rail and top grade rings. However, there is something to be said for one piece mounts and that it reduces the number of connection points. Theoretically, making the mounting system less prone to becoming lose...maybe. And, increasing the rigidity of the mount.

P.S. I do run a DNZ one piece mount on a couple of guns, one rifle and one slug gun and have had no issues.
Thank you......I will look them up :)

On a hunting rifle where I'm not looking for a 20moa cant or a giant mount like spuhr I like the talley lightweight rings. Direct mount to the rifle made of the tougher 7000 series aluminum and they are low profile. Plus all made here in USA in SC. Plus cheap at $60 for a one and done solution.

On a hunting rifle where I'm not looking for a 20moa cant or a giant mount like spuhr I like the talley lightweight rings. Direct mount to the rifle made of the tougher 7000 series aluminum and they are low profile. Plus all made here in USA in SC. Plus cheap at $60 for a one and done solution.

thanks so much for the link.. i will check them out.....very nice :)

If you need any help let us know. Our direct mount hybrids are lightweight and rugged. Ultra Light Tactical rings with the pic rail give you more mounting flexibility. Maybe gain 3-4 ounces with a pic rail.
I remember finding your website, but you didn't list that you made rings for savage. I like that your long range hybrid rings have 25MOA built in and the bubble level, but then you went with 6061 instead of 7075AL like the tactical ring series.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.