Scope Me

Ludicrous

Buying a Savage Arms 10/110 BA .338 Lapua Mag. Narrowed my scope choices down to three manufactures.

Hensoldt

Nightforce

Schmidt Bender

Really looking for the perfect scope model/reticle pattern for THIS rifle. Seen a few posts here from guys that own the same rifle, I'd love to hear their input too. What did you choose and did you wish you had gotten something else? 800-1200 meters targets. Leaning toward the Hensoldt now but I know very little about long range scopes. Price range to $5000. Going offshore now, back in five days. I'll reply then. Thanks.

I shoot 600-1,000 yds regularly. I doubt that you will benefit from the high optical quality provided by Hensoldt or S&B. Atmospheric turbulence will limit resolution and contrast, not optics. I would go with Nightforce and save a few buck that I could direct toward ammo and accessories.

S&B has the best quality glass on the planet. The scopes are also extremely robust. I have done my best to damage them with no affect. The turrets work period! If you are hunting with this scope you will pick up dusk and dawn shooting time, 15 minutes or so which is huge considering that's when animals move the most. It's hard to put a price on that time given the cost of hunts these days. Of course the S&B price is price and weight. They are heavy but so is NF with less optical quality. If weight is not an issue go S&B and you won't look back.

Love to get my hands on one, owned some older models they were excellent just, glass was tops, missing the latest updates. Looks
like that is solved. Would go well on my new 338-378 build. That kahles scope.

I have the same rifle on order and expect it to arrive in about a month. Just went through the same process of deciding on a scope for it. My other LR rifles have NF and Huskemaw scopes. I have found the glass, and turret reproducibility to be excellent on both. I ended up buying the Nightforce G7 5.5x 22x50. I really like the Huskemaw windage reticle, and turret system, but wanted the .25 MOA adjustments, and the heavy construction of the NF. It looks like the G7 gives me the best of both worlds, particularly with the turret system that has an added MOA scale on the bottom of the turret for the extended range shots that exceed the turret's yardage scale. I have had great success with yardage turrets using the Huskemaw/6.5x284, out to 1000 yards. I believe I can keep the same system with the 338 up to about 1000 yards, and easily switch to MOA for the extended ranges,which is my primary reason for getting the 338. I'll see if this all works out. It should.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.