? best scope for me?

I'm curious...what do you hunt in Florida that requires the power of the 300win mag?

im not answering for savage/ justice, but lots of people down here have large caliber rifles. in my case, i go back to the hills of pa. to use them. its against the law to fire any rifle where i live. the only thing legal here is fishing rods.

I'm curious...what do you hunt in Florida that requires the power of the 300win mag?

.280 about the only thing i hunt here in florida is hog. i have the .300 winmag because as i stated in my previous post i have a 1000 yrd range close to my house and i want to work my way up to trying to reach out that far. i do go hunting in georgia and in south carolina for deer where longer shots are the norm. while i do agree the .300 winmag is over kill (for deer, not 1000yds) i do have aspirations of going out west for an elk, alaska for a moose or ram, going to africa, etc.. all the things every hunter dreams about at nght. i basicaly only want to build one top notch rifle for everything. the savage is cheap but highly acurate and and easy to get aftermarket parts to build as you go. the nightforce i want (5.5-22x56 thanks to all here) is one way of building my rifle to the best it can be. hope this answers your question.

Savage,
In a nut shell, having the larger objective enabled me to see where my naked eye could not. Through the shadows and into the deep brush. I also use a 3.5x15 for Coyote hunting in the EENT and BMNT hours and the 56mm Objective helps tremendously. Having the slightly larger objective does give you a few more minutes to shoot where a smaller objective would be lacking.

For target shooting you simply cannot beat a larger objective. This will give you a larger exit pupil size and this relates to better resolution. Your average guy sometimes cant see the difference between a 50mm and a 56mm but ask the shooters on the line if they can see a noticeable difference.

Hope this information helps you, if not give me a call.

Ken it always nice to talk to you.

I will have to disagree on the larger size bell helping you greatly. We hardly sell the 56mm to anyone we mainly sell the 50mm.

The disadvantage to the 56mm is you will have to go with taller rings.
The Issues:
· The Cheek Comb of the rifle has to be higher making your prone shooting position higher. The lower you can get the scope to the bore the lower shooting position you can have give you a slightly more stable position.
· If you do not have an adjustable cheek piece you will have to built it up to give you the proper cheek height.
· If you do not have a stock like the A5 but more of a traditional hunting stock and you build up the cheek piece the butt of the rifle may not fit in your shoulder properly.

Here is some info on the human eye:
The average size of a human's eye pupil at night is 7 mm and in daylight it is about 4mm on average. If the optic give you a 7mm of exit pupil and you are using it for daytime use more than half the light will not reach the retina.

Size of bell divided by magnification = exitpupil. Hare are some examples.
56/22x=2.54mm
56/5.5x=10.18mm
50/22x=2.27mm
50/5.5x=9.09mm
The sweet spots for the 56 and the 50mm at Night and Day use:
50/7.14x = 7mm night use and for day use 50/12.5x = 4mm
56/8x = 7mm night use and for day use 56/14x = 4mm

As you can see by the math there is really not a big difference.

In daytime shooting:
As a shooter have you every been looking through a scope and you go to look away from the scope and you notice rainbow like spots? This is due to your retina going on over load taking in too much light. Another sign of too much light is the targets look washed-out and do not have real sold edges. You can overcome this and here is how I overcome it. On my 50mm Nightforce I have cut a 1.25" hole in the center of a Butler Creek Cap. This acts like an F-stop on a camera. This keep my eye form getting too much light. The question I get ask is will this affect the Field of View? No it does not your FOV is not base on the OBJ.

It late and I hope I made sense.

Mike @ CSGW

Ok, I have a question that may help out both Savage J and myself, I think that the Nightforce scopes are pretty awsome and I am considering buying one, but I am unsure as to how the fine reticle will be in low light, and in dark timber? Are the fine reticles easily lost against dark backgrounds? I have read many dfferent opinions on the fine reticles and the illumination etc. so I guess I am just curious NF Ken, and Liberty O what your toughts are when it comes down to it?

A thicker line will be faster to pickup for the most part but you can see the NPR1 just fine in low light environments. I prefer then MLR for this reason it is not to thick and not thin.

Mike @ CSGW

IMO, the lines of the NXS reticles I looked through were too fine for shadows/foliage/low light. As Ken said, the illumination, set brightly enough, will negate this. But the lack of quickly adjustable rheostat does not let you tailor the illumination to the situation. Again, the NXS, while adaptable, was not designed for hunters or hunting. It is a long range tac/target scope.

Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.