Scope got knocked; Has it spoiled your hunt?

Have you lost zero in the field:

• Yes

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • No

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Yes, lost an animal because of it!

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • Yes, but switched to the iron sights

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other: please explain

Votes: 12 8.3%

• Total voters
Ge

Get the cheaper gun 800 to 1200 but better scope 1000 to 2000 and good rings
As much as some think this is the answer, unfortunately it isn't always that case. I bet I have had more $1k+ scope failures than you could believe. How about 6 with American made costing well over $1500 and 3 with European made optics costing as much, most of which were catastrophic. I have a hard time trusting scopes. I have 140+ scopes in my vault at work, all costing in the $1250-$2500 range. The only people that see more scope failures (minor to catastrophic) then I are the ones that work in the repairs department at a major US based optics company.
Good mounts/rings are usually a good investment.

This happens with any product that gets farmed out to some mass production facility QC goes out the window

I fell on a Vortex Strikefire once. It was dead on after. Do I think they are the best optic ever?

Nope, it is just a data point.

Lots of great responses, thanks all!
Sounds like I should budget for a Nightforce or perhaps higher end Leupold. I think I will also figure out some irons for this rifle.
Quite a few examples of scopes getting knocked out of alignment or out of commission altogether.
Remington style sights would work, but you could also have a peep sight that fits on the mount or on the side of the receiver, which could be put into a storage area in the rifle butt. Williams makes a great peep sight and mount. You could zero it, mark your elevation on the side mounted receiver mount, and put it inside the pocket in the butt stock, and if you need it, just take it out and put it on. You would have easy adjustments for elevation out to 800 yards or more. It wouldn't add much to your build, and it would add a lot of versatility to the rifle, too. I've been thinking of getting the receiver peep sight for my Ruger MkII, just because of the ease of elevation adjustment.

While I've never had a scope get knocked and verified to have lost zero, I've had that thought in the back of my mind a few times- especially when I don't have a chance to check zero in the field.

Has it happened to you? Did it affect your hunt, and to what extent?

I building a mountain rifle, in 7-08 AI. My plan is to shoot lighter Hammer Hunters really speedy quick. I want to get into backcountry hunting as well, abd this is the rifle ill do that with.

I am considering adding iron sights to the build, as cheap insurance- but my own (rather limited) experience supports that they are not really necessary. I thought I'd poll y'all, see what some more experienced backcountry hunters have to say. Anybody not had irons, and wished they ha
It seems that in order to externally "bump" a scope and lose the zero of the internal sighting, that the external tube would have to bend or shift in the mounts. If the internal sight adjustment is changed by a bump or a knock, that scope probably would change point of impact from normal recoil without "knocking the scope off" due to an external bump. Many scopes will lose their poi for little or no reason. I have had many scopes and have learned to trust Nightforce NXS. It has been bumped hard and has always retained zero. Even better yet, it has accurate repeatable dialing, which I never had in a number of name brand scopes of a certain brand.

While I've never had a scope get knocked and verified to have lost zero, I've had that thought in the back of my mind a few times- especially when I don't have a chance to check zero in the field.

Has it happened to you? Did it affect your hunt, and to what extent?

I building a mountain rifle, in 7-08 AI. My plan is to shoot lighter Hammer Hunters really speedy quick. I want to get into backcountry hunting as well, abd this is the rifle ill do that with.

I am considering adding iron sights to the build, as cheap insurance- but my own (rather limited) experience supports that they are not really necessary. I thought I'd poll y'all, see what some more experienced backcountry hunters have to say. Anybody not had irons, and wished they ha
Yes one time but went right away away from camp and verified zero. Never had an issue in 50 years with Leupold losing zero. A buddy however had no zero stop and did not return to zero after setting for 400 yards....shot over nic Mule Deer 4pt at 85 yards. Lessons learned over time..

Yep, had a relatively cheap scope just decide to not hold zero once. Was out shooting the day prior and it was spot on. Had a huge 8 point whitetail @ 75 yards with a solid rest, remember thinking this is a chip shot. At the shot he just stood there and I was shocked, thinking why isn't he crappie flopping on the ground? Took me a second to come to my senses and run the bolt, that's when the doe he was bulldogging took off with him in tow. They ran across the 350 yard field and when I went to check for blood they ran back across at the far end, unharmed. I took my water bottle and placed it at 100 yards on the side of a hill and was shooting a few feet over it.
Have also had a mount come loose and cost me an elk, that was an expensive one.
How about pulling up on a big drop tine buck at 50 yards shoot three times and on the fourth attempt noticed that the lens inside had turned sideways!! Never put another scope on that 41 magnum. She just too much!!!

Here's my two cents on this. Well............yes this started out as $.02c, however after about 1000 words it's a bit more than $.02c. YES I have had my zero knocked off and it cost me a deer while hunting in Vermont. I was shooting a Remington 742 and at that time what was popular was the "see-through" mounts. The scope was mounted high over the top of the receiver and there was a hole underneath the scope so that one could see the sights if needed. It was a handy set up because close up the iron sights were, there if hunting over a field or low light one had the scope. I had just settled into a stand on the side of a field when the rifle just slid slightly, hit a rock in the stone wall that was part of the ground blind, and.....that's all that happened a slight bump. A deer came out close, like 60 yards, it was an easy shot but I missed!! Long story short the scope had been knocked out of zero by that littler jolt. I believe that it was due to the scope being mounted so high it was an easy task to knock the rings out of adjustment, and not the scope. SO....yes that was time when I missed a deer due to the scope being knocked out of adjustment.

For "me" personally I always hunt with "at least" two rifles that are both sighted in for the same point of impact for the area where we a hunting. I use Warne bases with Warne detachable rings. I know that there will be some people with different thoughts about Warne rings and bases, but these work for me. With that said I always will pack an extra scope that I have previously sighted in for the primary gun that I am going to be hunting with. Most of the rifles that I do hunt with are Ruger 77's with the built in/integral scope base, so the base never moves and the rings/scope can easily be removed and another scope in Ruger rings can easily be installed. Many years ago I did a caribou hunt in central Canada. We flew 360 miles out of a small town called Chefferville, and Chefferville was about 1500 miles north of Montreal on accessible by plane or train. There wasn't a local WalMart or gun store around. We were allowed to carry 65 pounds (?) to include all of our gear (including clothes and sleeping bag) along with our ammunition and rifle; it was like $10 a pound for anything over the 65 pound limit. I was hunting with a Ruger 77 in 300 WinMag, scoped, and without any iron sights. I did however take another scope mounted in Ruger rings as part of my 65 pound limit. On the first day of the hunt I slipped on some mud/moss in the tundra, the rifle went flying and it took a big hit on a rock, the scope took a big dent in the tube and a crack in the lens. I installed the extra scope, checked the zero that had not changed and had a successful hunt. And........I can attest that out to 300 yards the zero from one scope to the other does not change.

I am a believer in Leupold scopes, again I am sure there are opinions about Leupolds; however, they are my choice of scopes. In hunting conditions, I DON"T CARE what one has for a "quality" scope, there are times when no matter what one is carrying, under the right conditions IT WILL/CAN break. With that said and without the option of taking along two rifles I recommend having an additional scope, that is mounted in a scope base and rings that afford the ability to change one scope out for another. This principle is the same for me carrying an extra rifle, in case my primary hunting rifle gets broken; as in stock or any kind of a mechanical break down. In the past I have loaned a rifle to another hunter because theirs fell out of a tree stand and the scope and the stock were both broken and rendered useless.

For the rifle that you are considering to build, I would strongly suggest building a .270 Winchester Short Magnum instead of the 7-08. You can do the build on a short-action, and you will have all the horsepower to hurl the light bullets at the high velocities you are trying to achieve; and, with the .277 caliber the BCs ought to be a little higher than the .284 caliber. If you really are looking for long range, you could build a .270 WSM with a fast twist and shoot the heavier, high BC bullets that are popular today. If you really are insistent/stuck/determined with the .284 caliber, I would take a serious look at the .280 Ackley Improved. I know "long-action", but in my opinion not enough between the long and short action to make a difference when one considers the potential benefits over the 7mm-08. Again my opinion, this is my $.02c worth, hope that I didn't start any fights here "with my opinions!!!"👍👍 ;) Good luck with your build and with your hunt.

As much as some think this is the answer, unfortunately it isn't always that case. I bet I have had more $1k+ scope failures than you could believe. How about 6 with American made costing well over $1500 and 3 with European made optics costing as much, most of which were catastrophic. I have a hard time trusting scopes. I have 140+ scopes in my vault at work, all costing in the $1250-$2500 range. The only people that see more scope failures (minor to catastrophic) then I are the ones that work in the repairs department at a major US based optics company.
Good mounts/rings are usually a good investment.
Based on your experience, what scope do you have the most confidence in?

There is a reason some guys deal with 30 oz scopes in the mountains. It's not for training weight. I'm one of them. I'll take extra ounces for something that can take a beating and not lose zero.
I'm a little old and a lot wore out. But Not so wore out that the extra weight of a great scope will prevent me from using it.
Always use the absolute most durable scope you can justify buying.

NOPE. Can't be. Mechanical devices are prone to fail. The above two MAY be of the best, but nothing on this planet is foolproof.

You are right. However, the NXSs are dang near bulletproof.

If I were to grab one rifle for the SHTF (unlikely) of all the ones I have, both gas and manual shifters, it will be my custom built M1A topped off with a NXS scope.