Scope got knocked; Has it spoiled your hunt?

Have you lost zero in the field:

• Yes

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • No

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Yes, lost an animal because of it!

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • Yes, but switched to the iron sights

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other: please explain

Votes: 12 8.3%

• Total voters
Yes. Just get a reliable scope and be done with it. Considering the cost of hunts, fuel, food, supplies, etc., it's penny wise and pound foolish to run anything else.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is why most new hunters are told the scope should cost more than the rifle.

I have had some pretty harsh knocks on my various scopes during hunts but surprisingly have never lost zero. If I bang my scope hard enough during a hunt, I'll take a shot to check my zero…For peace of mind. I did damage a set of Talley one piece scope/ring bases mounted with a Huskemaw 5x20x50 in my Cooper. Walking to a blind in the dark, I stepped in a badger hole. The front bell of the scope hit a stump so hard that the scope base screws and bases were deformed, with the scope visibly out of alignment. I was certain that the scope would be toast given the force of the hit. When I replaced the bases and fully tested the scope, it functioned perfectly, and it continues to do so…six years later.
Seems to me as thought this thread is overlooking half the potential problem. Scope bases and scope rings are every bit as likely to fail as a good scope, maybe even more. A while back I decided to change all systems to a pic rail fastened to the gun with 8x40 screws and epoxy. I also have the base screw holes tapped so the screws no longer slip through a hole bigger than they are, but are threaded together into almost a 1-piece system when screwed to the gun. Also, a 30-ounce variable scope is a lot harder to stabilize than a 12-ounce, 6X fixed. My opinion only, and just food for thought.

I have a Model 70 in .270Win that I bought at Walmart 20 years ago. I put a Nikon BuckMaster 2-9X40 on it. Sighting it in, the first two shots went through the same hole with the third shot touching. Through 20 years of travel and hunting, I have never had to re-zero it. My son bought a M70 at the same time in .300 WinMag. We put the same scope on it with the same result. Nikon scopes have my respect...

Years ago when the i bought my 1st NXS 5.5-22x56 for hunting. We were down in SoTx going after Whitetails. Had the ranch truck backed up into the brush to have view hunting over the cab. On the way out tried to grab the rifle instead I accidentally pushed it and it fell to the ground.

Took the rig to the 600 yard bench and dialed my 600 yard dope, fired 1 round, smacked the 6x6 plate that I kept hanging sort of permanently. Rifle was an AI AWM launching the 210 Bergers at 2900.

The NXSs are that tough...

Last edited:
I have a rail on all my rifles and use LaRue QD scope rings on all optics.
I bring along a Trijicon MRO on a QD mount that has been zeroed prior to hunt.
If scope gets askew, put on the lightwight red dot and continue just limiting your range.

Seems to me as thought this thread is overlooking half the potential problem. Scope bases and scope rings are every bit as likely to fail as a good scope, maybe even more. A while back I decided to change all systems to a pic rail fastened to the gun with 8x40 screws and epoxy. I also have the base screw holes tapped so the screws no longer slip through a hole bigger than they are, but are threaded together into almost a 1-piece system when screwed to the gun. Also, a 30-ounce variable scope is a lot harder to stabilize than a 12-ounce, 6X fixed. My opinion only, and just food for thought.
I had a horse slip and fall against a hill on the scabbard side. Rifle lost zero, but the rings were actually bent. scope was 100% ok, I was shocked. It was a PST gen II and the rings bent before the tube. I was using some high end DNZ rings, can't remember the exact model.

All my 18 rifles have nightforce. The reason, I had only one nightforce nxs about 10 years ago on a 7mm mag custom rifle. It fell 15' out of a deer blind while I was exiting the blind. Landed on its side and struck a rock. The fall dented the front bell. Got to camp and shot it and was dead on at 200 yards. All nightforce rings and bases. It made a believer out of me. Sold all my Leupold's and went NF.

While I've never had a scope get knocked and verified to have lost zero, I've had that thought in the back of my mind a few times- especially when I don't have a chance to check zero in the field.

Has it happened to you? Did it affect your hunt, and to what extent?
In 2008 in Eastern Idaho I got on a herd of elk before dawn. I had a cow/calf tag
I was making a stalk down a steep timbered slope when slipped on some ice under the snow. I slammed on my back and slid about 40-50yrds. I was able to keep my rifle pinned to my chest. When I stopped the elk were still bedded down in the timber below.
I got on a cow just over a 100yds straight below me. Took the shot and the elk took off. I knew it was a clean miss. Couldn't see my impact.
On the hike out I checked my zero. I was 2 moa high.
That was the last chance I had to fill that tag

In 2008 in Eastern Idaho I got on a herd of elk before dawn. I had a cow/calf tag
I was making a stalk down a steep timbered slope when slipped on some ice under the snow. I slammed on my back and slid about 40-50yrds. I was able to keep my rifle pinned to my chest. When I stopped the elk were still bedded down in the timber below.
I got on a cow just over a 100yds straight below me. Took the shot and the elk took off. I knew it was a clean miss. Couldn't see my impact.
On the hike out I checked my zero. I was 2 moa high.
That was the last chance I had to fill that tag
Hard to believe 2 moa at 100 caused a miss on an elk but stranger stuff has happened

Ge
Yep, had a relatively cheap scope just decide to not hold zero once. Was out shooting the day prior and it was spot on. Had a huge 8 point whitetail @ 75 yards with a solid rest, remember thinking this is a chip shot. At the shot he just stood there and I was shocked, thinking why isn't he crappie flopping on the ground? Took me a second to come to my senses and run the bolt, that's when the doe he was bulldogging took off with him in tow. They ran across the 350 yard field and when I went to check for blood they ran back across at the far end, unharmed. I took my water bottle and placed it at 100 yards on the side of a hill and was shooting a few feet over it.
Have also had a mount come loose and cost me an elk, that was an expensive one.
Get the cheaper gun 800 to 1200 but better scope 1000 to 2000 and good rings

All my 18 rifles have nightforce. The reason, I had only one nightforce nxs about 10 years ago on a 7mm mag custom rifle. It fell 15' out of a deer blind while I was exiting the blind. Landed on its side and struck a rock. The fall dented the front bell. Got to camp and shot it and was dead on at 200 yards. All nightforce rings and bases. It made a believer out of me. Sold all my Leupold's and went NF.

^^^ I sold all my Lupys as well...

Recent Posts