Scope for Rem Model 600 Mohawk .243

I think more than anything I'm struggling on what rings and bases to use. It has old Redfield one piece base with rear windage and front dovetail mounted rings. I've lost two of the hex screws and they're almost impossible to find. Thinking either Talley two piece lightweights or Talley one piece base with fixed rings. The 600 and Model 7 has the single rear screw but it's a .243 so the recoil wont be a lot.
Screws are easy to come by on both Midwayusa and Brownell's sites.

Just about any gunsmith will probably have some laying around.

Trust me I have looked everywhere. No one carries the old hex screws. I've looked at Midway, Brownells, eBay, my gunsmith. These screws are like the last of its kind! Hahaha

Since she's a carbine, I'd vote vx3 gloss 2.5x8 leupy,many were set up with weaver rings n bases with a tip off , so you could quickly use the iron sites. She's a Beauty 4sure Congrats .

I've thought about this too but the only reason I haven't is I've taken off the iron sights. I think a larger obj, smaller than 50mm would be best, especially if my young son will be shooting it as his first rifle like I did. Do this lower magnified scopes pull good light? I have no experience with those at all

Jayjay, change all the screws to new style heads. #6 or 8/40. Take a screw with you to a smith. Cheaper than new rings and keeps it retro.

Yeah that's what I'm gonna do. I'm sure that if I stayed with this base, that the newer gloss Leupold rings would fit. They're only like $20 anyway...

the leupy 3.5x10x40 is longer and bigger and heaver then their 2.5x8 yes i'd say one pulls lite as good as the other, its just a smaller package over all , so i'd say it would look better on your rifle , your Son's very lucky to have such a good Father , thks jjmp

If you want to stay classic, I'd look for an older Leupold Vari-X 2-7X33 compact. Yes, there are newer and flashier scopes, but the compact would sit fine on that 600.

This is a Remington Model 600 Mohawk chambered in .243 Win that I've had since I was about 9 or 10 years old. It was my first rifle and has dropped more deer than anything I've ever shot since. It has been accurized by bedding of the stock, crowning the muzzle and adding a Timney as well as metal bottom metal instead of the factory plastic. It will soon be my son's but I need to replace the old Leupold one piece rings and add a scope to it. I wanna keep it classic so I'm thinking Talley two piece rings but I don't know on the scope. I don't wanna "break the bank" but want a decent scope. Suggestions?
Look for a leupold vx3i 2.5-8x36, it is a good low profile scope with upgrageded glass. the 2.5-8x36 was better than the 3.5-10x40, 4.5-14x50 vx3i that i tried. They are $350-$400

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.