Scope for Rem Model 600 Mohawk .243

jayjay24

This is a Remington Model 600 Mohawk chambered in .243 Win that I've had since I was about 9 or 10 years old. It was my first rifle and has dropped more deer than anything I've ever shot since. It has been accurized by bedding of the stock, crowning the muzzle and adding a Timney as well as metal bottom metal instead of the factory plastic. It will soon be my son's but I need to replace the old Leupold one piece rings and add a scope to it. I wanna keep it classic so I'm thinking Talley two piece rings but I don't know on the scope. I don't wanna "break the bank" but want a decent scope. Suggestions?

Attachments

• 98EF047C-2549-4896-82EF-39720ED33E52.jpeg
    98EF047C-2549-4896-82EF-39720ED33E52.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 603
  • 4D516B5B-1360-4427-907E-7DB317FC76B6.jpeg
    4D516B5B-1360-4427-907E-7DB317FC76B6.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 478
I think a Leupold vx3 would be a good option for that little rifle. Something like a 3.5-10x40 would be light weight, sit low, and be enough to get you out there quite a ways. Talley would be a good option for rings.

Wow that mohawk looks really great,, nice to see youve kept it original loking.

Did you redo your stock finish?? Just curious as the finish is in great order....

Wow that mohawk looks really great,, nice to see youve kept it original loking.

Did you redo your stock finish?? Just curious as the finish is in great order....
I believe my uncle refinished it at one time with a satin oil finish. He's been refinishing antiques for a long time.

Doesn't the Rem 600 only have one hole in the rear of the receiver for the scope mount?

I would get a one piece scope base (or one piece base and rings if available) to utilize all three holes to ensure the most secure mount possible.

Yeah right now I have an old school Redfield base and rings. I would use them still because I think they were made very well but I'm missing one hex screw for the rings and I cannot, for the life of me, find a replacement.

I think more than anything I'm struggling on what rings and bases to use. It has old Redfield one piece base with rear windage and front dovetail mounted rings. I've lost two of the hex screws and they're almost impossible to find. Thinking either Talley two piece lightweights or Talley one piece base with fixed rings. The 600 and Model 7 has the single rear screw but it's a .243 so the recoil wont be a lot.

I think more than anything I'm struggling on what rings and bases to use. It has old Redfield one piece base with rear windage and front dovetail mounted rings. I've lost two of the hex screws and they're almost impossible to find. Thinking either Talley two piece lightweights or Talley one piece base with fixed rings. The 600 and Model 7 has the single rear screw but it's a .243 so the recoil wont be a lot.
I Put a VX 3i on my Tikka 7mm RM and was very surprised just how good the scope is, especially just how clear the glass is all of the way out to the edges.

I'm trying to keep it "classic" you know. Like a glossy VX or something like that, maybe an older Habicht...

Conetrol mounts look pretty darn classy on a mohawk. They have a one piece bridge mount/ or 2 seperate bases options.

I know you mentioned putting a 3.5-10 scope on this rifle,, just my opinion but aesthetically I reckon it would look nicer and more in keeping with a short barreled rifle with a shorter more compact style of scope such as 2-7 kahles/ 1.75-6 leupold....

Since she's a carbine, I'd vote vx3 gloss 2.5x8 leupy,many were set up with weaver rings n bases with a tip off , so you could quickly use the iron sites. She's a Beauty 4sure Congrats .

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.