Scope For M!A???

Log Hog

Need help out there for info on what you guys are running on your M1A's? I will be shooting from 50-600 yards. May use for hunting, target and some close quarter training? I looked at Vortex and Leupold in that 2.5-10 range and some Trijicon ACOGS in there 5.5X50 and 6X48. Any info would be grateful!!!

I've run a Vortex PST 2.5-10 on mine out to 500 and had great performance. Dialed elevation and held over with MOA reticle, no problems either way. Only knock would be performance in low light which is not bad just not Nightforce good. Great scope for the $$$.

I use a Springfield Armory ART IV 3-9x40 scope. It has a stadia rangefinder built in and it's drop compensated for a 308 Win cartridge used in an M1A rifle. No target knob twiddling or calculations are required from 50 to 500 yards. Here's one for sale used at a good price:

Springfield Armory 3x9 A.R.T. IV Rifle Scope 308 *Used | eBay

I use a Gen III SA scope mount with Leupold low steel rings. It's solid, reliable, comfortable eye placement, and doesn't interfere with ejection.

There is also the SA 4-14x56 scope designed for use with the M1A. it has a range calibrated reticle to match the 308 Wn cartridge plus an internal bubble level for anti cant. It's not designed to be a rangefinder, rather to be used with a handheld laser. Again, no knobs to twiddle to use it. I chose the 3-9x40 because it's less weight and more compact.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.