scope for a 6.5x284

valleysnyper

her goes guys, I am having a 6.5x284 norma being built, looking for a scope for this rifle. I hunt in so central Wisconsin for whitetails and coyotes, I regularly get shots from 50 to 300 yds with occasional shots out to 500 yds. My question is although I have some mid range shots out to 400,500 yds I would like to take the gun out west for antelope and mule deer in the future and might get considerably longer shots, should I put a scope that has turrets to dial for these longer ranges and just leave it set at a shorter range for now, Or ?? I am really getting confused with all the choices, everytime I think I have it narrowed down, I read of another problem. Anybody have any suggestions, I would be willing to spend around $1500-$2000 on the glass. Sorry for the long rambling post, but now you know where my mind is...lol

+1 on VX 6 3-18x44 I have 'em on 6.5-284 & 280, nice compact package with very good glass. I am adding tac dial for come-ups and using TMOA for windage holds.

Thanks for the help, I could go for the 3-18 power, but I think the nighforce starting at 5 power is too much at 50 yds. 1 other question, here it comes and yes I have searched on here...what about the Huskemaw scopes ?

My 6.5x284 should be finished this month and it will be wearing a Huskemaw 5-20x50. I picked is used one and I'm sure I'll be happy with it. Other rifles in the safe wear Leupold, Vortex and Nightforce.

I like the VX6 3x18 a lot as well. The new NF SHV F1 4x14 looks pretty sweet too, it's about the same price as the VX6.

Does the VX 6 have adjustable turrets? I though only the Mark 6 did? Whats the main difference between the two lines?

Vortex PST 4-16. Plenty of magnification for what you're talking. Used this scope on top of a 7 mag to take a deer at 1059 yds. Would have been nice to have more magnification but it worked. I have a PST 6-24 on my 6.5-284 but it is used mostly past 500 yds. I also have a PST 2.5-10 on my .260 that works great out to 600 yds.

I have the same gun same situation except I live in cal. I'm looking at the Burris XTR II 4X20. Everything I've read has been excellent and its about $1100-$1200.

Can not believe no one has mentioned the NXS. You are building a custom rifle. Put the best long range scope on it (NXS #434). This scope has it all. The higher magnification is great for long range and older eyes. Leave it set on 5 and zeroed at 200. You will then be able to point and shoot at anything under 350.

I would vote for the NF NSX 5-25x56 scopes. Look around, and you can find one for around $2k.

The SHV lines is impressive as well. I've got both, and would have zero reservations about suggesting one for you. You can get those for less than the $1500 you mentioned.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.