scope for 300 wby

aOWENc

I've been doing a lot of thinking regarding the scope on my 300, it has a vortex crossfire 6-24×50 I don't need near this much scope on a rifle I will only be using on big game and this is the lowest price vortex that i question its durability on a 300 wby mag. I think I will put this scope on my 223 so I can use it for paper punching and prairie dogs, so that leaves my 300 scopeless, I've been thinking about a vortex diamondback hp 4-16x42 or a leupold vx2, or vx3 I in the 3.5-10, 4-12 power range. Any other recommendations or advice on this topic? Thanks!

Completely forgot about the zeiss terra line, would the 4-12×42 be good on my 300 or should I take a step up?

How far do you feel comfortable shooting? Are you going to dial for range? Is your hunting done in the brush, open country, combination??? Do you have a price range in mind?

I've shot out to 600 with my kenton turret but never that far at game, once I order my new scope I plan to put in an order for a new a dial then practice until our trip. I'd say the hunting will be a combination, especially if indiana decides to legalize high power rifles for deer hunting them it will be used in bean fields, woods, and in the open country out west for antelope this fall. I would like to keep it under 500 dollars, thanks!

The leupold vx3 would be my choice of the ones you mentioned. I have one on a 300 wby and it seems to work reasonable well. Don't shoot the rifle a lot so I'm not sure how it would stand up under repeated dialing and etc. Mostly my son borrows it for elk hunting and he really likes it, but then again he doesn't ever get around to shooting it a bunch. One scope that I believe would work well for you is the sightron siii in the 3.5x10 power. If you look around you can find one pretty close to the 550 mark. I don't own one of these but do own several of the cheaper ones si and sii. They seem to have pretty good glass were easy to sight in and hold zero well. From what I've read about the siii, it sounds like it would have good glass and be reliable when dialing. For 500 and closer shots the 10 power should be plenty. Good luck and have fun

If in your price range, go to the Conquest line, another to consider is the Meopta scopes, good optics, comparable if not better than the Conquest if you go with the Meostar line. The Cabelas Euro Instinct line are made by Meopta.

If in your price range, go to the Conquest line, another to consider is the Meopta scopes, good optics, comparable if not better than the Conquest if you go with the Meostar line. The Cabelas Euro Instinct line are made by Meopta.

Exactly......best for $500.

What about a strait 10 power? SWFA 10x42.
I would look for anything that's Front focal plane or fixed power, with a Milrad and Mil turrets. The SWFA fits this bill, as does The Falcon Menace/BSA/Primary Arms 4-14x44... If I had only 500$ to spend it would be these scopes.
Not sure what you are wanting to spend though....

I've have had my 4x16x42 Diamond back Up now on my 300 Bee now just over 1 year and so far untill love it couplee hundred rounds dripped a couple of times but no cold weather conditions and it is still holding zero and seems to through its magnification range .

Owen, the best scope for you is the one you pick after going to the shop and looking through the scopes on your short list. If you drop $500+ on a scope without looking through it you're whizzing in the wind. What looks to be the best glass to one may not look good to you. All good suggested options here, but your eye will make the final choice. Good luck

I've been doing a lot of thinking regarding the scope on my 300, it has a vortex crossfire 6-24×50 I don't need near this much scope on a rifle I will only be using on big game and this is the lowest price vortex that i question its durability on a 300 wby mag. I think I will put this scope on my 223 so I can use it for paper punching and prairie dogs, so that leaves my 300 scopeless, I've been thinking about a vortex diamondback hp 4-16x42 or a leupold vx2, or vx3 I in the 3.5-10, 4-12 power range. Any other recommendations or advice on this topic? Thanks!

Don't know what you're looking to stay around, but you may want to give a look to our Toric 3-15x42 or our Tekoa 4-16x44. Both coming out of the LOW factory in Japan. Schott HT glass.

The Toric features 4" of constant eye relief, which I do like when shooting the magnums. Comes with capped turrets and an additional target turret as well as zero stop. Direct to consumer pricing, so you're cutting out that added margin that you find at traditional retails. Let me know if I can help in anyway!

https://www.tractoptics.com/products/riflescopes

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.