scope for .257 Wby

gjk5

bought the Back Country .257 and am looking for glass.

I have the 6.5-20 Conquest on my .30-378 Accumark and love it, but there may be better choices for the money out there. That said the Zeiss glass is unbelievably clear.

I can get any of the Vortex products for dirt cheap, was thinking a PST or HSLR. I have 3 Viper 6.5-20X plain jane scopes and Viper spotter and 15X 'nocs, so no stranger to Vortex.

Any input?

Zeiss 4.5-15x50 demo with target turrets from CameralandNY:
Zeiss - Camera Land NY

I have/use the Vortex HS LR, and the Zeiss beats it hands down. I will likely be selling my Vortex soon as I purchased another Zeiss recently to replace it. Since the price of the HS LR is about the same as the Zeiss demo, there is no longer a reason to buy the Vortex. When they were $400 the Vortex was a good deal, but they've priced themselves into a different market.

Zeiss 4.5-15x50 demo with target turrets from CameralandNY:
Zeiss - Camera Land NY

I have/use the Vortex HS LR, and the Zeiss beats it hands down. I will likely be selling my Vortex soon as I purchased another Zeiss recently to replace it. Since the price of the HS LR is about the same as the Zeiss demo, there is no longer a reason to buy the Vortex. When they were $400 the Vortex was a good deal, but they've priced themselves into a different market.

Im with you Doc.....depending on what he's using that 257 for....either the 4.5-15 OR the 6.5-20

thanks for the input guys, the .257 will be paper, antelope, P-dog/varminter etc. I have a couple of handfuls of rifles I could use to hunt with, just really partial to the Weatherbys.

the Zeiss is definitely GREAT glass. I am low/mid $600's for the HSLR or PST, pretty dead set on the higher magnification.

There is no question the Zeiss gets the edge in light gathering.

ive got a vx2 4x12 on mine and have shot deer out past 500 yards and have never felt after a shot that i could use more then 14x on a deer sized animal

IMO the HSLR is the most versatile long range hunting scope in it's price range. I have the 6-24 HSLR on both of my customs and they perform flawlessly. Once again, for me, they are very hard to beat.

I just replaced my 6x20 Zeiss with the 5x25HD it is on my .257 Wtherby ULwght.

Low light excellence. The 6x20 went to the Sako .243

my local shop is going to loan me an HSLR and a HD5.

FWIW the difference in price between the two (in 6-24 and 5-25 respectively) is HEFTY. Like $400+ dollars. And that is the FFP HSLR.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.