Scope field evaluations on rokslide

Ok, but to take the opposing view, with the same scenario.

You're paying for a guided brown bear/moose hunt in Canada. This is quite expensive.
You're going to chance that hunt to a riflescope that will likely lose zero on the pack/horseride/hike in and almost certainly lose zero when you trip on a rock on the side of the mountain and the rifle gets dinged against the ground. Over saving a half a pound? You'd rather have a high likelihood of missing the shot and waste that money over 8oz?
I mean I'd wager I have a lighter ready to hunt rifle than most that is purpose built for going up mountains, and leupold has some nice ultra-light scopes. But you won't find one on it.
I have never experienced that with the VX5/6. The Leupolds he tested were the VX3 and Mark 5 and I have noted the flaws in the test. I have Luepolds I have had for years that have been to hell and back and never lost zero but I run Hawkins Precision or Warne rings. Honestly, the Sako where's a Schmidt but you can't get one of those for $1850.😁

Last edited:
Surely you didn't expect to suddenly convince them all to agree with you. This is great stuff. Wish I had popcorn.
I stated from the beginning that one of two outcomes would be obtained and stirring the poop was one of them. You can't fix stupid and stupid don't fix itself!😂😂😂 Some heads are just a lot thicker than others! It's a good thing their tough climbing all them mountains cause they are sure not getting by on brains!🤣🤣🤣😉Ha!

I stated from the beginning that one of two outcomes would be obtained and stirring the poop was one of them. You can't fix stupid and stupid don't fix itself!😂😂😂 Some heads are just a lot thicker than others! It's a good thing their tough climbing all them mountains cause they are sure not getting by on brains!🤣🤣🤣😉Ha!
Does this mean that only idiots use scopes that work?

Hunted Roe Bucks and Norwegians in Norway. I promise you it does get any tougher. And I'll put money on it that most of you western hunters would struggle in the swamps of the deep south. It's a different kind of tough. Mulberry thickets so thick a dog want go through them, mud so thick it pulls your boots off and when you fall, which you will, there will be a cypress near to catch your rifle hard as a rock!

Ever hunted the upper peninsula of Michigan! Been there too and the plains of North Africa.
And on which of those hunts are you wanting to "immediately" end your hunt to return a functional, yet cosmetically damaged scope?

I think you missed the point of my post. It doesn't matter the specific location. Most of us have hunted in spots we've worked hard enough to get into that we don't want our hunt ended by a scope failure. Miss Lady, apparently hasn't.

IMG_4186.gif

Does this mean that only idiots use scopes that work?
Man there is not a person here that would argue that the NF Atacr is not one of the toughest scopes on the planet but it isn't practical for 90 % of hunting scenarios. The NX8 is a completely different animal and if you read consumer reports you find that they ad the Leupold VX6 are near equals in failure probability. The test did not test the VX 5/6 or the NX8 or NXS. He tested the Atacr. But I'll do you one better. That bear is barreling down on your butt you are not going to like the eye box on that NX8. Numerous people on here have testified to the fact that most PHs use Leupold. I have never scene a NF on a PH's rifle. It is just a fact! I am sure there are some that use them. Maybe it has changed in the last 10 years. I don't know?🤔 What I do know is I have never had a Leupold or S&B or NF loss zero in the field or the truck!

Wow, this is turning into a "who brought the biggest bat" to the party.
I only wish I could afford those top end scopes for my personal use.
Those who are fortunate enough to be able to afford those are fortunate. The rest of us have to hope we find the best bang for the buck.
I know that it's not the quality of the optics on any of my service weapons but I also don't plan on my personal rifles will have to withstand IED's, VBIDS, or suicide vests.
I'm not gentle on my gear but I have only had two scopes fall me in many years of hunting.
I guess I don't get what the big fight is here 🤷🏼‍♂️
We all have our own budget and likes,
The SWFA's are $299.95. They will withstand most anything you could throw at them.

Man there is not a person here that would argue that the NF Atacr is not one of the toughest scopes on the planet but it isn't practical for 90 % of hunting scenarios. The NX8 is a completely different animal and if you read consumer reports you find that they ad the Leupold VX6 are near equals in failure probability. The test did not test the VX 5/6 or the NX8 or NXS. He tested the Atacr. But I'll do you one better. That bear is barreling down on your butt you are not going to like the eye box on that NX8. Numerous people on here have testified to the fact that most PHs use Leupold. I have never scene a NF on a PH's rifle. It is just a fact! I am sure there are some that use them. Maybe it has changed in the last 10 years. I don't know?🤔 What I do know is I have never had a Leupold or S&B or NF loss zero in the field or the truck!
He absolutely tested the NX8.

He absolutely tested the NX8.
Your right the 4-32. My gun smith loves that scope. But it doesn't meet the criteria. The eye box in the 32 is significantly better than the 2.5-20. It is also significantly longer and heavier. Over 30 oz if memory serves me correct. Like the Kahles 6-24 vs the 5-25 they are completely different optics.

The SWFA's are $299.95. They will withstand most anything you could throw at them.

You are referring to the 6x SFP fixed correct?

I want to try to 3 -15 x 42mm SS, but I cannot find a picture of the illuminated reticle, is the full reticle illuminated or is it a center dot. There were some of the SS versions that were tight on the eyebox, was it the compact/ultralight versions?

Your right the 4-32. My gun smith loves that scope. But it doesn't meet the criteria. The eye box in the 32 is significantly better than the 2.5-20. It is also significantly longer and heavier.
What criteria? A scope that tracks and holds together? Cause it sure does. Last I checked this thread was about scope reliability. Also last I checked this was long range hunting forum. Am I correct on both? This is not ultra lightweight 6lbs 100 yard shooting forum. Most people are packing 8-12lbs rifles capable of shooting distances. And yes in gnarly county. My customs land between 8.5 and 12.5 lbs. I hunt hells canyon and alike. Backcountry difficult stuff. My dad and mom backpack hunt with me at 65 and 66 both packing 10lbs rifles. An nx8 is definitely not too heavy. Shoot, an atacr isn't too heavy on a well put together rifle. If you build it right you acct for a heavier scope as it's one huge key factor in a trust worthy system. A leupold mark5 is 30oz. I just don't get where you're going with all this. If you have different goals that is fine but those goals don't align with most here.

Your right the 4-32. My gun smith loves that scope. But it doesn't meet the criteria. The eye box in the 32 is significantly better than the 2.5-20. It is also significantly longer and heavier. Over 30 oz if memory serves me correct. Like the Kahles 6-24 vs the 5-25 they are completely different optics.
What's the criteria? Seriously? It either works or it doesn't.