Scope Click software confusion

Preda8or

My local range has a 300 yard range so I know my clicks out to 300 yards but all the software are showing my clicks way off is there a software that you can put your clicks,bullet weight,muzzle fps and BC and get the tragectory and come ups for longer ranges

Problem might not be with software.

Contrary to what mftrs claim, clicks are not normally correct at exactly 1/4 inch. They vary from .240 to .265 and that is a lot of difference at longer ranges.

Read Dan Liljas article on how to build a drop chart and how to test for click adjustment at lilja rifles website.

You will need accurate chrono readings also to even start.

BH

Preda8or,

Two of the biggest problems I see when a scope doesn't match the come-up from a ballistic program on short yardages.

1. The scope height of the scope is different from the program. Most folks use the standard default of 1.5". On my tactical rifle, it's 2.1".

2. The scope clicks aren't true 1/4", but something else. My Leuy tactical scope actually tracks closer to 1/3" instead of the advertised 1/4", but my IOR tracks dead on.

Hope it helps,
wink.gif

Jeff

Is that 4.5 x 14 Leupold you have the ~1/3 MOA clicks in??

Preda8or

You can "back calculate" a bit using software but it's probably best to read what BountyHunter suggested and get good initial specifications like Jeff mentioned. My last suggestion would be to switch to thinking and adjusting in Minute Of Angle (MOA) an not clicks. Clicks is a non-standard amount and sometimes it's difficult to cypher what folks are saying/asking "I came up 137 "clicks" so what am I sighted in for now?". MOA is pretty easy and it's probably howt the scope turrets are marked.

How can I find my scope height.I'm using a savage 112bv-ss weaver medium rings and a weaver grand slam 6-20x40 scope with a 1 inch tube. anyone know off the top of there head Thanks

[ 10-15-2004: Message edited by: Preda8or ]

At the point where the scope objective lense is just above the barrel... 1) measure the diameter of the objective 2) measure the diameter of the barrel 3) measure the distance from the barrel to the objective.

Divide the (measured outside value not the 40mm advertised) scope objective measurement by 2. 1.8 / 2 = .9" as an example
Divide the barrel measurement by 2. 1.2 / 6 = .6 as an example
Add the barrel to scope distance to the results of the two disision operations and you have the center barrel to center scope distance. .25 + .6 + .9 = 1.75" as an example

Hey guys I checked a couple of things today and both guns are set up the same one is a 22-250 the other is 300 win mag the scope is a weaver grandslam the clicks are 1/7 in. clicks checked it today going by my clicks 300 zero puts me 2 inches high at 100 on the 22-250,and 2.25 inches high on the .300 win mag does this seem right.By the way the 22-250 shoots a nosler bt 55gr @ 3625 and the 300 win mag shoots a nosler bt 180gr @ 3070 and the scope height is about 1.9 inches

[ 10-15-2004: Message edited by: Preda8or ]

Preda8or

I know i am 6 weeks late jumping in on this topic, but better late than never.

Click values of 1/7 inches at 100 yards equate to approx 25 clicks per MilliRadian. This might be a new option for you especially if you have a milliradian reticle on your scope or if there are 5 clicks per large hash mark.

Rgds

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.