Scope? Bullet?

keg333

Recently purchased a Remington 700 SPS Stainless .300 RUM with 26" barrel. Changed the stock already to a laminate thumbhole. I have never tried to shoot more then 200 yards so I am very new to long range shooting. I shoot a really good group at 100-200 and really would like to learn to shoot to about 500-600 and maybe even further if possible. I will be hunting deer with this gun. I know it takes a lot of practice but I was wondering what would be the best optics, rings, and bullet for this gun? I am interested in the scopes with turrets because it seems to take the guess work out. Not big on the mildot scopes I usually like my crosshairs fine. I would like to spend around $1000 or less for the scope but will considering spending a little more. This is a hunting rifle so I would like something that is very good in low light as well. Thanks for your opinions in advance!

Last edited:
If you don't like the mil-dot scopes, then look for the target dot scopes. That is what I use and it works very nice. Start with looking into Sightron SIII series scopes. Look at their 8-32 target scope. Nice turrets and glass. The 10-50 is nice, but have heard there was some issues with the elevation turret on that particular model. The 8-32 is just as nice. I have looked through both at 1000yds in Williamsport range. It was over cast, and foggy and I had no problem seeing the target at the top end. Another is the Night Force target scopes and Leupold. Weaver makes a good target scope. Vortex has some scopes with target dots. I have a 6.5-20x44 in a target dot. I really like the scope and the turrets. If you can handle a ballistic reticule then you should seriously consider the Vortex Viper PST.

As far as bullets, if you aren't going to use a break, I wouldn't go heavier than 180-190 grain bullet. If you are going to install a break then look into the 210 Berger, JLK, and Sierra or the Hornady 208 A-max or 225BTHP.

Tank

Recently purchased a Remington 700 SPS Stainless .300 RUM with 26" barrel. Changed the stock already to a laminate thumbhole. I have never tried to shoot more then 200 yards so I am very new to long range shooting. I shoot a really good group at 100-200 and really would like to learn to shoot to about 500-600 and maybe even further if possible. I will be hunting deer with this gun. I know it takes a lot of practice but I was wondering what would be the best optics, rings, and bullet for this gun? I am interested in the scopes with turrets because it seems to take the guess work out. Not big on the mildot scopes I usually like my crosshairs fine. I would like to spend around $1000 or less for the scope but will considering spending a little more. This is a hunting rifle so I would like something that is very good in low light as well. Thanks for your opinions in advance!
Sounds like you are off to a good start.

As for scopes, with that budget you have a long list of options.

I'd say stick with the 50-56mm objective lenses and minimum 14-20x magnification.

I really like the Zeiss Conquest, Leupold VXIII, VX7 and Mark 4 tacticals, all of which you can find within your price range in the above powers and objectives.

Don't be afraid to check the classifide ads here, Sniper's Hide, or even on ebay for used scopes as both Leupold and Zeiss have Lifetime warranties.

I'll add one more too, and that's to go with the 30mm tube as it will give you a wider field of view and more MOA adjustment typically than the 1" but, 1" will work as well for most applications within 1000yds. The Zeiss Conquest series with the z-1000 reticle would be one that is great to start with.

Pesonally I do like the mil dot scopes because they give you a good set of reference points to use to see how far you are off when you are not using a good spotter. That'll really help with adjustments.

Till you get yourself a sufficient quantity of brass saved up I'd say go with factory ammo or from a custom loader like Conley Precision Ammunition.

Get out and shoot as often as you can, make notes as to wind, temp, humidity, and how well you shot, and you'll then start building a comparative database.

Welcome, good luck, have fun, and don't be afraid to ask questions. There are a lot of people here with a great deal of expertise and most are pretty nice guys.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are off to a good start.

As for scopes, with that budget you have a long list of options.

I'd say stick with the 50-56mm objective lenses and minimum 14-20x magnification.

I really like the Zeiss Conquest, Leupold VXII, and Leupold Mark 4 tacticals, all of which you can find within your price range in the above powers and objectives.

Don't be afraid to check the classifide ads here, Sniper's Hide, or even on ebay for used scopes as both Leupold and Zeiss have Lifetime warranties.

I'll add one more too, and that's to go with the 30mm tube as it will give you a wider field of view and more MOA adjustment typically than the 1" but, 1" will work as well for most applications within 1000yds. The Zeiss Conquest series with the z-1000 reticle would be one that is great to start with.

Pesonally I do like the mil dot scopes because they give you a good set of reference points to use to see how far you are off when you are not using a good spotter. That'll really help with adjustments.

Till you get yourself a sufficient quantity of brass saved up I'd say go with factory ammo or from a custom loader like Conley Precision Ammunition.

Get out and shoot as often as you can, make notes as to wind, temp, humidity, and how well you shot, and you'll then start building a comparative database.

Welcome, good luck, have fun, and don't be afraid to ask questions. There are a lot of people here with a great deal of expertise and most are pretty nice guys.

This is good advice. Just be aware that there a lot of knock off scopes out there. Be careful when you purchase. If it looks to good to be true........

check out the Huskema line, Great scopes and once you develop and gather your data the custom turrent they build for you works great takes alot of the guess work out of it and with windage compensation already built into the retical. the long range hunter is right in your price range. both the long range hunter and blue diamond are 5x20x50 with 30mm tubes

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.