Looking for the right scope and bullet for a 7mm rem mag

DSMITH1651

hi guys, i am new to med. and long range shooting and up to last fall my deer hunting has been in the north woods of mn and the shots are with in a 100 yds. last nov. we decided to try deer hunting central SD and loved it i have a new savage 16 fcss weather warrior in 7mm rem mag love the rifle and i am good out to 500 yds with it. I would like a new scope with variable power 4-14 or so and zero stop and the other bells and whistles like the nightforce but i don't want it so big for hunting in the brush in mn i found a lepold that seems too fit the bill but i have been reading that there is better options out there.

Also i need a bullet that can handle 50 yds as well as 600 yds maybe more the hornady sst i was shooting in SD last year grenaded on two deer at 100 yds. i don't think they will hold up busting brush in northern mn.

i would like this to be a set up that could work in both places but maybe i deed two different loads and guns
thanks
Duane

What type of budget are you looking at for the scope? As far as bullets, I would look into the Berger 180 VLDs, the Accubond 160's, or the new Long Range Accubond 168's or 175's.

Welcome you are on the right forum to find your answers. Just continue to keep reading and reading and you will learn what is best.

FROM EXPERIENCE YOU NEED TO INVEST ALOT OF TIME IN YOUR PURSUIT. All the technology will only help you drain your saving unless you Practice shooting at least once a week.

In my opinion you need two guns. One for up close maximum range 100-150 YARDS AND ANOTHER SETUP FOR LONG RANGE SHOTS. THAT IS WHAT I DO AND IT WORKS FOR ME. A BRUSH GUN FOR WHEN THAT 10 PT WHITETAIL( GETS UP AT 20 YDS )AND AN ACCURATE TACK DRIVER FOR LONG RANGE SHOTS.

CONSIDER THE BERGER VLD HUNTING BULLET WHEN YOU CAN FIND THEM AND IF YOUR GUN LIKES THEM. WHICH BRINGS UP LOADING ANOTHER MONTH OF CONVERSATION AND LEARNING.

Learn well Pilgrim....... A MAN'S GOT TO KNOW HIS LIMITATIONS DO YOU PILGRIM????

ODAVID

I have a similar situation, I live in western SD, hunt in Eastern WY, and in Easter ND. For deer in ND, I will use a sporter barreled 270win BDL, but have my 7mm Rem Mag Sendero with a Leupold 6-20 for the long stuff. Pretty good scope that I got a descent price on used. I am working up some 168gr Bergers right now, but to be honest, the only thing I regret is not jumping right to the 180's and being done with it. I would recommend 2 guns, but if you were gonna just shoot one, go big or go home with the 180's. Droping to a 168 wouldn't even be noticeable so I would probably maximize my abilities out long.

Like was stated above, practice more than anything. I will probably shoot these 168's I have up, and then work on some 180's and go from there.

I don't know the terrain your in, but for me I move a lot when I hunt. That could be glassing an alpine bowl in the morning and bushwhacking through a swamp or thicket in the evening.
I cannot stand having two guns, and I cannot stand being a one dimensional shooter. If selecting scope and rifle combo I limit myself to 800 yards (as to 1000+) but I open up the effectiveness at close range I am happy to drop the 200 yards of effective range (OK, I'm not happy, but you get the point:D).

I would go for the Nightforce if you have the coin, but if your worried about weight leupold mark 4 are nice, any of the swaros or ziess's and I personally really like the Vortex. Bushnell has a very high magnification range but I don't know about overall quality and I wont buy a scope without matching turret/reticle.

As for magnification range I would say that your right on with the 4 on the low end and 14 or higher on the high side. You can go more than 14 but no more than 18 unless you get a March that has a very good bottom end.
I have a 2.5-10x44 that I love, but it would be nice to have a bit more magnification after 600 yards.

as for 7mm bullets, 160 AB or 180 berger.

I personally would pick the Nosler 160 grain Accubond and a 4.5-14 Mk4 Leupold for the rifle you describe, the only thing you will be missing is the zero stop. I really don't mind using different rifles for close range hunting but for serious long range shooting I really think a specialized rifle is required and a lot of trigger time to go with it. I am new to the game (long range) myself but am gaining confidence. In your situation I would go with 2 rifles, one for the woods and one for the west. I'm in a similar situation here in Missouri with very few long range opportunities and that has been my course of action.

Bob

If you're only shooting to 600 yards this should be pretty easy. For the use and ranges you described the 160 gr Accubond or Long Range Accubond would both work well. As for a scope, I would not use a 4-14 sort of scope... I would opt for a 2.5-10. You want all the field of view you can get for thick foliage and 50 yard shots, while 10 power will get you way past 600 yards on deer size targets. I would also suggest you certainly don't need two guns for this.

Here's what I use for elk at exactly the ranges you posted.
270 WSM in an Allen Precision custom bolt gun, with a 2.5-10 Nightforce. Scoped the rifle weighs in at just 8 lbs. No problem with the short shots, and I have used this rifle to take numerous rock chucks between 5 and 600 yards. This rig has also served well shooting paper from 800 to 1077 yards. I am using 140 gr Berger VLD's, but from what I have been reading, the new long range accubonds are proving to be another good, high BC bullet.
An accurate factory gun will make a minute of buckskin rifle to 600 yards.

For elk I am using a 7 mm STW with a Zeiss 4 X 14 X 44, 175 Sierra GK . Have also tried 180 Berger, but not yet the new AB. I have killed a couple of elk with this combo, but not at long range.

Thanks for the replies guys, I will use what I have for this year I would like to get a new rifle for my wife then I can get my 308 back, for up in the woods and just set up my 7mm for med to long range 800 yds max. But that will have to be next year. I need a new range finder.
Duane

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.