scope base question

Brien

i would like opinions on the aluminum bases... i have several ken farrel steel bases and would like to have one on a lighter weight rifle but the base adds more weight than i would like....are the aluminum bases as durable and repeatable as the steel ones... how bout the rings. will they all hold up or just lump it with the extra weight with the steel setups...
Brien

...there are excellent aluminum setups out there...you didn't mention your particular application, but just to name a couple... Davidson bases and kelbly type rings are universally accepted within the benchrest community... also, am impressed with Darrel Holland's Rem setup i.e. one piece aluminum base & lower ring unit + top ring half is steel... these have the most base coverage of any, for a remington at least... if you're looking for a really inexpensive aluminum setup, try the new "Talley" aluminums, if they're made for your application... aluminum will never be as "strong" as steel, but steel will never be as "lightweight" as aluminum... just match your intended purpose with good quality stuff and you'll always be happy... hope this helps... Larry

the application would be for a lighter weight deer rifle or a lighter weight tactical rifle...
reason being i want to be able to take my scopes off of a few target rifles and put them on hunting rifles without taking them out of the rings...
Brien

Badger and Nightforce also both sell excellent lightweight tactical rings and bases. I have been using them since last summer and they are perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.