Scope alignment to rifle

james_ogburn

If you have Redfield type windage adjustable bases, you can line up the scope with the barrel. First, cut two V's out of a shoebox so the scope tube can sit in it. Adjust the crosshairs until they don't move when you set it on the box and spin it. This is to make sure the scope is mechanically centered. Then, mount the scope and sight it in, using the windage screws on the base to get the windage roughly right.

If you don't have a Windage adjustable base, there's not a lot you can do unless you're using Burris rings with inserts.

I have a Farrell base and Badger rings I'm just not sure how to get scope Reticle vertically aligned for long distance shooting.

What's the procedure for getting a scope straight or aligned on your rig. Also, what's used for a referance point on the gun when some bases don't mount square to the rig.

I think this kind of depends on the style of mounts you use and such but if you use the cheaper stuff like I do for a basic hunting rifle(Leupold windage adjustable bases etc.)

I use a 1" dowel or metal pipe to set in my rings,after the rings are snug I use the windage screws at the rear base to adjust and line up the pole to my barrel,I like to use a pole long enouph to travel the full lenght of the barrel. low tech but it works for me.

I just used this on a Browning bolt action and put a Leupold on it,did not have to adjust the windage on the scope at all for bore sighting.

My 2 cents
grin.gif

Oregonhunter

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.