scope/rifle level

TxAggie94

First, howdy. I've been been hanging around and reading for a while, but this is my first post.

I've just gotten into the idea of long range shooting. I know I have a long ways to go and a lot left to learn.
OK, so here's my newbie question: Do you guys use some sort of level to ensure that your scope/rifle is level each time you shoot? One thing I have noticed is that I can shoot some good groups, but sometimes at longer ranges, consecutive groups may not be together. It occured to me that level might be the problem. Drawing a vertical line on the target butt to line up the reticle with seems to help significantly.
We have been using levels on our archery sights for a long time to improve the consistency, but I've never seen a rifle set up like this.

Thanks

I someone on the site had given me the idea of using an old over/under mount and drilling it out inserting a bubble level and epoxy it in. mount the scope mount on the scope of the rifle and level it true w/ the rifle and scope and off I went. Seems to take the abuse... I have shot around 100 30-06 and @380 rounds of 300 wsm and it is still working.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.