Scent control

JMack

What kind of scent control do you all use or prefer for whitetail deer hunting?

Ozone gadget?
Carbon clothes?
Plain old wash in baking soda and air dry?

Obviously wind direction is number one but….

Just curious
Jmack

I've got some scent lok and it seems to work but half the time I just wear regular camo that's been washed in scent free laundry detergent and into the dryer. I clean the detergent holder before I wash and then wash a couple towels in sf detergent and tumble dry them to absorb odor from the dryer. Place washed & dried clothes into a tote. I spray clothes and boots liberally with sf spray before going to the stand.
It's quite a routine I have but it's been working for me.

Age old remedies. Have recently use Wildlife Scent Killer in the wash and dryer.
The wind is your enemy!
I have washed in baking soda and hung my hunting clothes in a covered shed in the woods just so your clothes and gear would have that scent.
Went so far as getting dirt, tree limbs, leaves from the area I would be hunting and put on the clothes. You also can't shower with soaps and deorderant. Going to extremes when wanting that Coyote or big buck.
Really comes down to the way the wind blows. If the wind is in your favor great or you need to have no scent of cover it.
You can also try using other Scents to COVER your SCENT.
Do your homework on the area you hunting with Topo maps and weather forecasts for temp, humidity,and wind direction.

I use code blue clothes wash and works just fine. I have a buddy that built a cabinet with 2 sheets of plywood and ordered an ozone generator off Amazon (cheaper than ozonics). Ozone gen. Is mounted in the top of the cabinet. He doesn't wash his clothes during season just puts them in the cabinet for 30 mins and opens the door so it will take in the air. He swears by it.

I usually just watch what I eat to manage potential scent.😂

I've tried about everything, some coverups do "help" to some degree. Ozone works to some degree, I have one. But I have seen deer react to ozone as well. You might be able to "cheat" the wind a little but I just don't believe anything is 100% coverup except managing the wind. I use total scent mgmt like most; clothes non scent clean, hang outside after washing to improve odor reduction, bathe with non scented products (pack in hunts whole other discussion), coverup products on your gear, packs etc, use wind indicators religiously, if direction changes BAIL OUT ASAP to prevent souring stand, even what food you bring can add to scent mgmt. Your boots are most often overlooked. Do not wear while driving, you can pick up odors from anything on soles. NEVER pump gas, drop by convenience stores etc. The inside of any boit needs to be managed as well. .The deer's nose is by far your biggest "enemy" to conquer and its crazy what they can smell. A buck looking for estrus scent is on high alert for scent so anything at all will be scented by him. I also plot my track to stand to avoid leaving any ground scent in predictable areas. Every little bit helps.
YMMV

What kind of scent control do you all use or prefer for whitetail deer hunting?

Ozone gadget?
Carbon clothes?
Plain old wash in baking soda and air dry?

Obviously wind direction is number one but….

Just curious
Jmack
Keep washed hunting clothes out of the dryer, Scent from dryer sheets persists a LONG time. Yes use the Baking Soda detergent. Air dry them outside. I used to cut pine branches (usually had plenty from putting up my stands) Put the branches together with my hunting clothes in a large contractors trash bag. Out of the sun. Did this all season with some degree of success. Then Ozonics came out with their line of products. All I can say is that they worked for me, really well. Unfortunately they are not cheap and they take up a lot of room in the backpack, but..... That's what I'm carrying to my stand nowadays. Even to my rifle/shotgun stands.

The off the shelf soaps and detergents seem to work well. I wash clothes and line dry. I never use the dryer. Clothes stored in scent freed tote or hung in a barn at my hunting location. I get fully dressed after I park and before walking in. Wash your shower towels in scent free detergent.

Playing the wind is great. Deer come from most any direction in most of my setups. I try my best to choose a wind direction blowing towards a steep creek bank or a tangle figuring deer as less likely to appear there. Inevitably they end up where I prefer them not to be.

I don't always fool their noses. Older bucks and does are tough. When one winds me, I start the process all over.

My plan is to be scent free. I've tried all the coverups in the world including local leaves and dirt. Nothing better than essentially not being there. A whitetail will go on edge or get curious with any new smell, sight, or sound. I want them 100% being natural.

My comments are based on archery hunting. I use very little oil on my bow. I oil my firearms. It seems a little weird sitting in scent free clothes while holding a firearm cleaned with solvent and oil.

I have used one item for years as a cover scent. Word of warning, it will attract critters you don't want as well. We set a game camera once, just to see what came to the scent. Everything. Raccoons, skunks, fox, possum, even a wild turkey. And several deer. Just smear some on and be prepared. Peanut butter, no lie.

Keep washed hunting clothes out of the dryer, Scent from dryer sheets persists a LONG time

I never use the dryer.
This may be possible for people living in the country but I live in suburbs and there's all kinds of scents that I don't want on my hunting clothes.
I use the dryer after drying a couple towels that I washed in sf detergent and add a sf dryer sheet.
Please enlighten me if there's a better way for someone living in suburbia. My way has been working but am open to suggestions. Thanks