Scary incident at the range

Was shooting AR yesterday. About 10 or 11th shot the rifle blew up. I was shooting factory rounds from a reputable manufacturer (bulk box of 1000). At the shot I felt powder hit my face. The bottom was blown out of the magazine and several rounds in the mag were dented/deformed. Bottom of bolt carrier was mangled. Got home and got the bolt back and this is what is left of the case and the projectile that came out has me dumbfounded. Take a look at pics and tell me your thought please. View attachment 368915View attachment 368914View attachment 368913View attachment 368916
Looks like the bullet was way to heavy back pressure had to go somewhere thank goodness nobody was by injured that's just another reason to take up reloading

Looks like somebody loaded a 5.56 or 30 blackout round in the blown up cartridge.
Tom
Someone loaded something for sure , no idea of length, cal. only weight. But she's long , almost the length of the bottom of the scale pan of RCBS.

Not sure of much of what you have, cal. of the carriage, gun , measurements of carriage and length of the spent bullet. Is it possible that a wrong carriage was in the box, can you read the info on it or measured it for size. Very strange, I would get rid of the rest of that box, or check every piece. also I assume the bullet was stuck in the barrel?

Looks like a .300 Blackout got swaged down in the bore. This is the 3d time I've seen something like this. Very curious how this got in the magazine with 5.56, it's not an easy think to miss even for a blindfolded person.

easy Karen, OP admitted that he likely did this himself by accident
Exactly...

For those still stumbling around in the dark, the OP identified what he believes caused this rifle damage. He inserted a 300 Blackout cartridge into an AR-15 magazine.
The .308" caliber 300 Blackout ammo chambered and fired into the .224" diameter barrel, where it lodged. The .308 caliber bullet was swaged down to .224", and the excess pressure ruptured the case head.

The mystery was solved quite a few posts earlier.

This happened to me. I loaded my 223 RRA at night while hog hunting and a 300 BO cartridge found its way in the magazine Also had a .300 BO upper.
They both fit the lower charging handle bolt face magazine etc
It did the same thing. Quite frightening, but I knew immediately what had happened
Sent it back to RRA for repair. They said I was one of the few folks that told them what happened vs blaming their rifle

This happened to me. I loaded my 223 RRA at night while hog hunting and a 300 BO cartridge found its way in the magazine Also had a .300 BO upper.
They both fit the lower charging handle bolt face magazine etc
It did the same thing. Quite frightening, but I knew immediately what had happened
Sent it back to RRA for repair. They said I was one of the few folks that told them what happened vs blaming their rifle
See, this here I can understand. Loading a mag in the dark. I can definitely see how that could happen. Thanks for this.

Recent Posts