Scary incident at the range

.300 Blk will chamber & fire in a .223 Rem/5.56mm gun. And it will take that .30 cal bullet that weighs 120gr right on down to .224 diameter. Mystery solved. Next comes the denials & that's not possible but the proof is in the weight & length of that projectile shown.
I was thinking that same thing, because of the length of the bullet. Looks like it was "Drawn out" in the barrel. Didn't know that the 30 Blackout woud chamber due to the bullet diameter.
This is SCARY that it could!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You think manufactures would design the cartridge not the chamber all the way so it would not fire.

Like I said I have seen it 2x. I still have the parts in a box in my office from one of them to show people and for firearms training for kids in firearms safety.

This year a guy brought in a bolt action .270 that his friend accidentally loaded a 30-30 cartridge in and fired it at a deer. Same result. The 30-30 fits perfectly into the neck of the .270.

My guess is either the OP has 300 BO ammo at home or the bulk ammo manufacturer accidentally got one in the 5.56 ammo... glad everyone is ok.

Last edited:
.300 Blk will chamber & fire in a .223 Rem/5.56mm gun. And it will take that .30 cal bullet that weighs 120gr right on down to .224 diameter. Mystery solved. Next comes the denials & that's not possible but the proof is in the weight & length of that projectile shown.
Learned something new...and NO, I will not be testing it out...

Learn something new every day. Didn't think a bullet could be drawn like that in a barrel. And didn't realize a 300 BO would chamber in a 5.56 chamber.

I own a 5.56 AR and a single shot 300BO. Guess I'll have to extra careful to make sure they never mix even though my single shot obviously doesn't use AR mags.

I always put tape around my 300AAC mags and marked them. Gotta be more careful with the ammo as well.
Glad the OP is OK! Thanks for sharing. New worthwhile lesson!

Omg. It will chamber and "headspace" off the body taper.
Guess it's like the 20 ga into a 12 ga shotgun problem we've been taught.
The SAAMI spec writers must have see this, right?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220529-091318_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20220529-091318_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Screenshot_20220529-091206_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20220529-091206_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 137
This is just one of many links showing it happens.

And you are right @Coyote Shadow Tracker , it's scary it can happen. People that have bofh (.223/5.56 & .300BLK) have to be very cautious.
Thanks for the video!!!!!!!!!
Anyone that owns both a .223 and 300 blackout shoud watch this video!