Savage stock help!

What savage LA do you have? Older stagger feed blind mag, newer centerfeed with removable mag?

Stocky stuff is inletted for the Current Ultralite DBM system and WILL NOT work with older staggerfeed blind mags. I am living this hell right now. I have a stockys carbon stock and an older staggerfeed blind mag action.

Savage says they don't offer parts to convert it. I *think* I could make it work, but if it can't the stock is trash, and I will have purchased a DBM setup that I can't use.

I am looking at the stock and I think if I open it up for the top bolt release and open the action a little for the magazine it would work, but I would be out $600 if it doesn't.

So I am on the fence of returning the Stockies stock and ordering a Bell and Carlson which is over 1lb heavier. I am looking for other options too.
You would think someone has already tried it.

Had a spare savage long action laying around so I decided to build a 7prc all around hunting rifle. Always been a fan of the savage actions due to the versatility of them, but have never built off of one. Problem is trying to find a good lightweight hunting stock. Planned on building this for the wife and kids to be able to use instead of my 338. Not looking to go the chassis route again. Is there anyone out there that makes a good solid lightweight stock? Trying to stay well below 40 ounces but after a lot of internet searching, I've come up empty. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Build is a 7prc on savage long action with 28 inch spiral fluted McGowen number 4 barrel with muzzle brake. 180 bergers seat perfect in a case with a 5 thou jump. Barrel is long for a hunting rifle but we like them long or grab an 18 inch rifle for hunting in

Had a spare savage long action laying around so I decided to build a 7prc all around hunting rifle. Always been a fan of the savage actions due to the versatility of them, but have never built off of one. Problem is trying to find a good lightweight hunting stock. Planned on building this for the wife and kids to be able to use instead of my 338. Not looking to go the chassis route again. Is there anyone out there that makes a good solid lightweight stock? Trying to stay well below 40 ounces but after a lot of internet searching, I've come up empty. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Build is a 7prc on savage long action with 28 inch spiral fluted McGowen number 4 barrel with muzzle brake. 180 bergers seat perfect in a case with a 5 thou jump. Barrel is long for a hunting rifle but we like them long or grab an 18 inch rifle for hunting in the woods.
I ordered a Pure Precision stock for my Savage 7 prc build. Put a 22 inch Oregon Mountain carbon barrel on and sent the bolt to Pacific Machine and Tool for the upgrade they do . Pure Precision stock came in less than a week. They ask for specific measurements and are great folks to deal with and it fits like a glove , excellent work and super to deal with. I will be ordering another soon, oh yeah 25 oz carbon, what's not to like

Attachments

• IMG_1259.jpeg
    IMG_1259.jpeg
    302.7 KB · Views: 28
I ordered a Pure Precision stock for my Savage 7 prc build. Put a 22 inch Oregon Mountain carbon barrel on and sent the bolt to Pacific Machine and Tool for the upgrade they do . Pure Precision stock came in less than a week. They ask for specific measurements and are great folks to deal with and it fits like a glove , excellent work and super to deal with. I will be ordering another soon, oh yeah 25 oz carbon, what's not to like
Is this a blind mag? PP told me they only did inletting for the DBM.

What savage LA do you have? Older stagger feed blind mag, newer centerfeed with removable mag?

Stocky stuff is inletted for the Current Ultralite DBM system and WILL NOT work with older staggerfeed blind mags. I am living this hell right now. I have a stockys carbon stock and an older staggerfeed blind mag action.

Savage says they don't offer parts to convert it. I *think* I could make it work, but if it can't the stock is trash, and I will have purchased a DBM setup that I can't use.

I am looking at the stock and I think if I open it up for the top bolt release and open the action a little for the magazine it would work, but I would be out $600 if it doesn't.

So I am on the fence of returning the Stockies stock and ordering a Bell and Carlson which is over 1lb heavier. I am looking for other options too.
Been down this road. First ever Savage was at the beginning of the pandemic (boredom). That is when I contacted McMillan and they were still inletting for Savage, actually so did Manners. Neither one anymore.

HS Precision and Bell and Carlson are the only drop ins that I know of. BC for the blind mag. Yes, they not light, but neither is the Savage 110 action.

You can get flat tops from McMillan that will work, you just need a GS (or if you are a steady hand with a dremmel) to inlet it.

Savages attempts at innovation have left aftermarket stock makers not wanting to support.

Last edited:
It's not just that, it is the location of the rear screw on the LA's. Hard to make the stock strong around it with where it is located as the stock gets really thin in there. A pillar with any wall thickness will also need to be notched at the top.

I cured a Boyd's of being heavy with one of these used under the buttpad: https://www.homedepot.com/p/DIABLO-...Speed-Steel-Spade-Drill-Bit-DSP3060/312953377 and one of these used in the bottom of the barrel channel: https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/63738116

Well ,went with a Grayboe phoenix with aics bottom metal. Since this is going to be for the kids and wife and I'd probably be the one carrying it, the extra weight might be beneficial for reducing recoil. The rifle loaded with 5 rounds and scope should come in at exactly 10.5 pounds. Thanks for all the input everyone

I live in central Mt and hike a lot so 10.5 lbs is a bit heavy my 7 prc scoped and bipod and 3 rounds is just over 8 lbs
Beautiful country out there, can't wait to go back. And I agree it's a bit heavy, but fortunately my wife has me as a pack mule. My 338 edge is pretty much the same weight so I'm already used to it. Haven't hunted Montana yet only visited. Was impressed by the muleys around dupeyer though. Could walk within 40 yards of them in the fields during late September. Never seen anything like that before, most beautiful state I've visited yet

Recent Posts