Savage Stock Bedding Help

You guys have never used a spoonful of honey for a bedding compound?:rolleyes:

I've had my run-ins with so called gunsmiths. I thought they were all hacks till I met Kirby, and I think he would consider himself more of a gun builder instead of gunsmith.
He should give us the full contact info for this "gunsmith" so no one here will ever use him.

What a piece of dirt.

Just a heads up, Savages tend to do better with the tang floating, just my experience and advice I have gotten from others. I dont bed past the trigger assembly.

Just a heads up, Savages tend to do better with the tang floating, just my experience and advice I have gotten from others. I dont bed past the trigger assembly.

Ditto^^^ Don't bed the tang, leave it floated. here's a tip, the last Savage I bedded, I used a piece of putty under the tang (very small piece) in relation to a couple pieces in the bbl channel to hold the correct height of the barreled action with the show lines of the stock, then you can chisel, grind & sand to your hearts content (I was also installing new pillars, which helped). With the putty holding the barreled action where I wanted it, I didn't have to worry about high spots or low spots or an out of square relation between the action & stock (if that makes any sense :D). If you get some bedding compound in the mag well area or in the trigger area, so what, that is what they make a dremel or file for.

The tang area is everything from the bolt handle back.
2011-09-08_082727.jpg

This is what mine looks like
2011-09-08_082925.jpg

Camshaft that is the exact same stock i have that is the exact picture i was looing for on that thing thanx a million.
Now just one last question shoul i take that blind box mag out to bed it or just cover the metal in release agent and clay and bed the thing?
Thanks
Mike

Ditto^^^ Don't bed the tang, leave it floated. here's a tip, the last Savage I bedded, I used a piece of putty under the tang (very small piece) in relation to a couple pieces in the bbl channel to hold the correct height of the barreled action with the show lines of the stock, then you can chisel, grind & sand to your hearts content (I was also installing new pillars, which helped). With the putty holding the barreled action where I wanted it, I didn't have to worry about high spots or low spots or an out of square relation between the action & stock (if that makes any sense :D). If you get some bedding compound in the mag well area or in the trigger area, so what, that is what they make a dremel or file for.

I used 3 thicknesses of masking tape - worked well.

Camshaft that is the exact same stock i have that is the exact picture i was looing for on that thing thanx a million.
Now just one last question shoul i take that blind box mag out to bed it or just cover the metal in release agent and clay and bed the thing?
Thanks
Mike

I removed my mag box (which is a bitch by the way) and lined the walls of the well with clay before bedding.

I removed my mag box (which is a bitch by the way) and lined the walls of the well with clay before bedding.

Man I hear that! The first time you remove that dang thing you wanna throw it out the window before it's all said & done! I did think about putting anything in the mag well (blind mag on mine), a 3-flute 1/8 endmill in my dremel made extremely quick (albeit messy) work of any over flow.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.