Savage rifle

I own 2 Savages 300WSM model 12 with 26" barrel and a model 12 VLP 223 1:7 twist and my son own s an older model would hav e to dig out of safe to tell you the model but is a 264 win mag all shot sub MOA.

I have a savage 112 BVSS shot pretty good when I bought it now I have a heavy target barrel from Bartline with a 1-7.7 twist now it shoots great these are at 200 that's all I have to shoot

Attachments

• 884B8A42-4940-41C4-AEB4-7BB5BD573649.jpeg
    884B8A42-4940-41C4-AEB4-7BB5BD573649.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 151
  • E8A19AFC-12FC-426A-8E06-75F179CAC710.jpeg
    E8A19AFC-12FC-426A-8E06-75F179CAC710.jpeg
    842.5 KB · Views: 138
Hello. Ive got a factory model 12 with a cheap tuberware stock in a 6.5 creedmoor that will shoot140 gr. Eldm bullets into dimes. You wont be disappointed with a savage. One point i will make that no one has touched on is for whatever reason, its hard to fully customize a savage rifle. Barrel swaps and boltfaces are easy. Problem is aftermatket stocks. The options are limited because not many companies will inlet there actions like they will for Remington 700 footprint. Even if u find a company to do so, not every model stock they sell is an option. This just seems to be the issue i have ran into trying to make a rifle your own.

SS makes a good point. McMillan has a few options (outside of sending in your rifle for them to work with) HS Precision has a several as well. I'm sure there are more but those are the ones I've looked into. Primary driver behind my 110 FCP HS and 12 LRP (both came w/HS stocks).

SS makes a good point. McMillan has a few options (outside of sending in your rifle for them to work with) HS Precision has a several as well. I'm sure there are more but those are the ones I've looked into. Primary driver behind my 110 FCP HS and 12 LRP (both came w/HS stocks).
I put my Savage Model 12's in a Oryx chassis and love them made by MDT. Check them out they make a chassis that is inexpensive and for a lot of different rifles.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your insight and advice. Much appreciated. I have noticed that several of the savage models have 22" barrels on the 280. Is changing out barrels on a savage a DIY project or does a smith need to get involved.

Hello. Ive got a factory model 12 with a cheap tuberware stock in a 6.5 creedmoor that will shoot140 gr. Eldm bullets into dimes. You wont be disappointed with a savage. One point i will make that no one has touched on is for whatever reason, its hard to fully customize a savage rifle. Barrel swaps and boltfaces are easy. Problem is aftermatket stocks. The options are limited because not many companies will inlet there actions like they will for Remington 700 footprint. Even if u find a company to do so, not every model stock they sell is an option. This just seems to be the issue i have ran into trying to make a rifle your own.
Excellent point! MDT does offer chassis options for the Savage SA and LA but they aren't cheap! Case in point...
110EP.PNG

And I am not trying to brag on my rig. Just pointing out that the MDT ACC while awesome is a $1200.00 piece of kit. Mine came with it...

Last edited:
I am partial to the Remington Mountain Rifle, Have one in 270, 280 and 30-06. all are lightweight barrels. Keep in mind any lightweight barrels will heat up quickly!!! As a hunting rifle making the first shot count from a cold barrel.
I have all three of them dialed in using the Barnes TSX bullets. 270 using 130 grain, 280 using 140 and 30-06 using the 150 grain. NONE would shoot the TTSX well. I am All shoot under moa as sighted in at 200 yards factory production firearms. Load development takes a bit longer having to allow the barrel to cool between shots.

I had a friend who wanted me to work up a load for his new Remington 26" barrel heavy varmint rifle. No matter what I did the best I could do was five shots in 3/4". After a few weeks of him trying he called and asked what I would do. "I would sell it and buy a savage." He did. The first three shots I fired made a 3/8" group. I could regularly get 1/2" five shot groups. When he took the rifle and my load his first five shots made a .4" group.

But I am not a Savage fan. I am a Weatherby fan!

I have the same rifle as Greyfox and can attest to it's accuracy. I upgraded the trigger but other than that, it's stock and it fortifies the issue many people have with Savage rifles, they are accurate and inexpensive. I also have a bone stock 12FV (Cabela's special) in 6.5CM that shoots factory American Whitetail ammo like this.

Attachments

• 20200811_110842.jpg
    20200811_110842.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 149
Just a bit concerned about the 8 lb weight without glass I know the ultra lite comes in at 5 and some change but has a 22" barrel. Try to hunt off the beaten path and with my love of ice cream I try to make my gear as light as possible. Not in the shape I used to be in or want to be in!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.