Savage rifle

OP, may want to explore the new 110 Ultralite as well, pretty certain it comes in 280AI. With that you are getting a lot of bang for your buck (ie Proffitt barrel, blue-printed action, fluted bolt, etc...). Tougher to find in stock presently but may fit your needs.

Nice to see Savage getting second looks by the "dyed in the wool" Remington 700 community. I have four old Savage 110s with a number of barrels (Shilen ready to install and some worked up from barrel blanks) ranging from 22-250 to 416/300 RUM. Great action! Strong and well designed in a way that protects the shooter better than most from case failure. Just my two cents...

Pete,

I have 4 Savage rifles (2 of which are now semi-customs) and they are all shooters to 1K yards, except for the .264 WM (pending load development). The Savage rifles are hard to beat for their out of the box accuracy and their DIY friendliness.

"If" budget allows you, check out ...

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57579
https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57417

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57147

Good luck!

Ed

Like FEENIX I have two semi custom (6.5 Creed & 280 AI) and both are outstanding shooters. I have a bone stock FCP-SR in 6.5 Creed that is .5 MOA if I do part with 140 ELD-M handloads.

Number four I just got because I love the 280AI and wanted a smaller lighter rifle for hunting here in the SE. I took a chance picked up a Axis II Overwatch in 280AI. I debated a good bit since everything else are 110s w/accustocks but I saw it had the 5R rifling so for $400 I took a shot. The group below is the first after barrel break in with Federal factory 168 Berger Classic Hunter. Needless to say I'm pretty happy.

Attachments

• 0805201203_HDR.jpg
    0805201203_HDR.jpg
    882.3 KB · Views: 179
I've bought several new Savage rifles and never had a problem with any of them,I had a 110 7mm Rem.mag that shot 5 shot 100yd. groups under 1 in. consistently, but I usually change the synthetic stock to something more stable, savage synthetic stocks are a little to flimsy for me.
"You can tell they're swell,
They are Mattel!"

I am partial to the Remington Mountain Rifle, Have one in 270, 280 and 30-06. all are lightweight barrels. Keep in mind any lightweight barrels will heat up quickly!!! As a hunting rifle making the first shot count from a cold barrel.
I have all three of them dialed in using the Barnes TSX bullets. 270 using 130 grain, 280 using 140 and 30-06 using the 150 grain. NONE would shoot the TTSX well. All shoot under moa as sighted in at 200 yards factory production firearms. Load development takes a bit longer having to allow the barrel to cool between shots.

Last edited:
I have a LRH 111 in 7mm Rem Mag and I love this rifle. It isn't pretty, but I am not one for pretty as much I am performance. I would buy a LRH in 280AI in a second if I was not totally invested in 7mm Rem Mag (brass and reloading). I also have a 114 American Classic 7mm Rem Mag. This one I could not refuse when it came out in 2005. DBM was a plus and this model is a beautiful Savage production of a fine rifle. Both 7mm mags shoot exceptionally well right out of the box.

Now for the rest of my savage experience. Additional Savage rifles in my safe are a customized 12FV 6.5 Creedmoor and a newly purchased 10T in 6 Creedmoor that I have not yet fired. I have owned 12FV in 243 Winchester that was an extremely accurate once Tupperware stock was replaced with Choate aluminum block bedded stock. Like everything I have owned the thrill is in the build and making accurate. Then someone usually wants the rifle more than I want to keep it?
I have installed Choate Tactical stock on the 12FV on my current 6.5 Creedmoor. Creedmoor shoots .7MOA without much effort, but accuracy wise my 243 was much more accurate easily shooting .25 MOA. I am finding 6.5 Creedmoor a little more finicky to load for.
If Savage made a 1:7.5 or 8 Twist 243 Winchester, I would own one in a heartbeat over any of the Creedmoor's, but that would kill the reason to own a Creedmoor. I am in hopes that the investment in the 6 Creedmoor gives me the accuracy of my old 243 Win, Savage 6 Creedmoor is 1:7.7 twist to shoot the 6mm heavy's.

I've had several savage 223 and currently have a 6.5 creedmoor tactical hunter and a high country in 30-06. I would definitely get an accustock model, huge difference. The high country comes in 280ai but has 22" barrel. Pic is from the 30-06 high country and is as "out of the box" as you can get with accuracy, lol. 19, 20, 21 shots through the gun.

Attachments

• 60771286169__A8EB01DE-B53D-4A0D-94A7-B4EEBFC6429F (1).JPG
    60771286169__A8EB01DE-B53D-4A0D-94A7-B4EEBFC6429F (1).JPG
    414.4 KB · Views: 164
I have many savage rifles with factory and custom barrels they all shoot sub MOA the high country is a little heavy but makes Great long range rifle mine is in 6.5 prc the 6.5 creed Predator that I have will shoot .4 MOA at 300 yards with savage as any other barrels be sure do break in it will make a difference good luck with what ever you pick

I own five savage rifles, a 10 ml II, a .243, 30-06, 300 win mag, a 338 win Mag., and a savage striker bolt action pistol in .308 win. The rifles are all in the 116 configuration with the exception of the 10 ml II. They all shoot great, I have owned other savages over the years and never had one that didn't shoot well, for the price you really can't beat them.

I have 2. The MSR-10 in 6.5CM shoots .35MOA and the 110 Elite Precision in .338LM shoots .44MOA. This is all dependent of the nut (me) behind the trigger of course but those are personal bests. Really like the EP as the trued action and bolt parts make for a pretty light lift in the world of Savage and the MDT ACC chassis is really nice from an adjustability point of view. Heavy as all get out though...

Last edited:
I've had a little of everything, and all of them have pro's & con's. Savage has been a good rifle with good accuracy especially for the price. My best shooters have been Remington sniper rifles, upper end Ruger rifles, Tikka, and my favorite Christensen Arms. All three of my CA rifles have been 3/4 inch or less with most ammo, My CA long range in 6.5 PRC shoots very close to 1/4 inch consistently. Very amazing for a hunting rifle.

When I put a $375 Walmart Savage 111 2506 into an aluminum bedding block gunstock...it grouped exactly like my $2000 Cooper...under 1/2 inch @100yds....shocked me.
Repeated that 5 yrs later with a Savage 110 Stainless Storm....exact same result...under 1/2 inch with handloads and hovers around 3/4 inch with 100gr factory loads...
A gunstock is an added expense.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.