Savage Pressure Test Ammo?

Nimrodmar10

I ran into something new at my local gun shop yesterday. As you can see by the photos, there is a sticker attached to the box. I had to buy them :)

Attachments

• 20240209_081630.jpg
    20240209_081630.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 160
  • 20240209_081654.jpg
    20240209_081654.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 167
  • 20240209_081832.jpg
    20240209_081832.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 169
Man, that is either some sort of fake sticker by somebody hoping to make a little extra money off them. Or, those were somehow gotten out the Savage factory. I don't see how Savage would allow this. At the end of the day though they're just Velocitors. I would save them as a conversation piece.

Here is a picture of the original CCI VELOCITOR 22s with VelociRaptors on the Box. They did not post the velocity only that they were 30% more energy and 40gr copper plated HP. Probably 20 years old. They did kill, but didn't have the same accuracy as the Rem "YELLOW JACKETS".
If you enlarge the pictures you can see the RAPTORS!

Attachments

• CCI Velocitor.jpg
    CCI Velocitor.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Velocitor - CCI.jpg
    Velocitor - CCI.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 73
BA for sure. Great score. Say nothing and someone won't get chewed out. Their world is good so help make it better!

No I haven't. Not worth the trouble. I will say this, they won't be shot in a Savage. I don't have one in 22 LR
Just wondering if the velicitor ammo is exactly the same as "off the shelf"--- or if somehow cci has manufactured a special run for savage pressure/proof testing of barrels....Hopefully proof testing ammo would never get to a retail shelf ( but you never know these days)

I gues 1 shot over a chronograph should clear that up

I don`t think I could resist a couple of phone calls. Is it possible that those are " extra hot " and something to avoid? Just wondering. Then again, I`m kind of cautious when it comes to firearms. I have a couple of .223s with which some people will say, " Sure! Go ahead! It`s perfectly OK to shoot 5.56 through them. " I`ve opted to only shoot .223 ammunition through them, if only for peace of mind.

Last edited:
I doubt it's a special run with higher than normal charge. They probably just have a particular lot of Velocitor as their standard ammo for doing any sort of high pressure testing. Like @1mechanic said, cycling autos, or maybe even running through test barrels, like a first batch of new steel coming in or something. I bet if you call Savage, they're going to want to know where you got it, and I bet somebody there gets yelled at.;)