Savage Model 12 Palma vs. Sendero

Gary is dead on with this one , the palma is setup for 155 sierras or lapuas and has a small firing pin...

Wrong. There is nothing different about the firing pin on the two 12 Palma rifles that I have from the 12 F-class (6.5-284) nor my 12 F/TR(s) in .308 or .223. Or my custom 6 Dasher built off a RBLP Target Action...

...for small rifle primered palma cases.

The Lapua small primer Palma brass wasn't even available when the 12 Palma rifle came out, so I don't know where you came up with that one.

I think they are planning to add 6xc, 6x47, 6.5creedmoor, 6.5x47, 260, 7mm wsm, and 300wsm to the f-class line up and benchrest.

6XC... fairly unlikely. Almost no factory ammo. 6x47 or more properly 6-6.5x47L - guarantee not unless it suddenly becomes standardized ala SAAMI. 6.5x47L... unlikely, as it would conflict with the 6.5 Creedmoor that they already carry, and they have a strong relationship with Hornady i.e. most of the ammo they use for proofing guns before they leave the factory is Hornady, and with Ruger kind of dropping the ball on the 6.5CM deal Savage jumped in and scooped it up and ran with it. .260 Rem... maybe. You could certainly special order a barrel in that caliber as its one they already make - but bear in mind their factory SAAMI spec chamber reamer is throated awful short, as its a Remington designed cartridge and Remington 700SA rifles tend to have shorter magazines (2.810" OAL vs. 2.925"). 7 and 300WSM... its been recommended to them a time or two, but the limiting factor will most likely be what they choose for a chamber - it will almost assuredly be a SAAMI spec reamer, not one optimized for LR bullets like a 7mm B180VLD

Wrong. There is nothing different about the firing pin on the two 12 Palma rifles that I have from the 12 F-class (6.5-284) nor my 12 F/TR(s) in .308 or .223. Or my custom 6 Dasher built off a RBLP Target Action...

The post was refering to the throat and the basic chamber setup. Have no idea whatkind of a firing pin Savage uses on their Palma Rifles

The Lapua small primer Palma brass wasn't even available when the 12 Palma rifle came out, so I don't know where you came up with that one.

Federal has been doing runs of N.M. .308 brass with the small primer for close to twenty years now.

6XC... fairly unlikely. Almost no factory ammo. 6x47 or more properly 6-6.5x47L - guarantee not unless it suddenly becomes standardized ala SAAMI. 6.5x47L... unlikely, as it would conflict with the 6.5 Creedmoor that they already carry, and they have a strong relationship with Hornady i.e. most of the ammo they use for proofing guns before they leave the factory is Hornady, and with Ruger kind of dropping the ball on the 6.5CM deal Savage jumped in and scooped it up and ran with it. .260 Rem... maybe. You could certainly special order a barrel in that caliber as its one they already make - but bear in mind their factory SAAMI spec chamber reamer is throated awful short, as its a Remington designed cartridge and Remington 700SA rifles tend to have shorter magazines (2.810" OAL vs. 2.925"). 7 and 300WSM... its been recommended to them a time or two, but the limiting factor will most likely be what they choose for a chamber - it will almost assuredly be a SAAMI spec reamer, not one optimized for LR bullets like a 7mm B180VLD

I still think Savage will opt for the BG series of rounds. It was developed by one of their old engineers with an impeccable reputation in the shooting world. Plus its a known to be an accurate round with a near perfect neck and shoulder design to aid in the use of long high B/C bullets. The case has been done in .224, 6mm, and .264 with fine results
gary

last time I looked in their catalog, Savage was offering the 6XC in at least one rifle
gary

note: forget this post, as they no longer show it. Unleless it's in the benchrest series.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.