Savage Model 12 Palma vs. Sendero

MHO

Looking to buy a new toy. Looking at the 308 for target and some antelope / whitetail hunting. Weight is not a concern nor is the Palma being a single shot/target rifle a concern. Does anyone have any experience with these two rifles. I am leaning towards the Palma. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I've got two Senderos,one in a 7mag,the other in a 7STW.They are great shooing rifles.But in the 308,my newest rifle that I am really getting to like a lot,is the CZ 550 Varmint.
CZ-USA -> CZ 550 Varmint

Here's mine with one of my Senderos behind it.

Attachments

• REM. 700 SENDERO&CZ550LAM. 004.jpg
    REM. 700 SENDERO&CZ550LAM. 004.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 141
MHO,
I have owned many Sendero's, various calibers. They are great rifles that require minor tweeking to bring out their absolute best, but most factory rifles do. Once they go to shooting, they shoot extremely well. At least that has been the case with my experience. I currently own a Sendero SF in .25-06 and it shoots sub 1/2" non-stop.
I read an article on the Savage 12 F/TR, in .308 in a "Shooting Times, Ultimate Guide to Accuracy Secrets" Vol II, dtd 2008. The name of the article was "Savage's New Model 12 F/TR IS LONG RANGE ACCURATE! The article stated that all (12) but one of the .308 handloads went under 1 MOA at 500yds and all factory loads (6) went under 1/2 MOA at 500 yds. The smallest handloaded 3-shot group ran .88", the largest (over 1MOA) went 6.88". Of the factory fodder the smallest went 1.5", the largest went 2.63".
Now I know that's not the Palma model but darn close and great for a factory rifle with NO mods or tweeks.
I have two, a 12BVSS and 112BVSS, both will boringly print 1/2 MOA at 500yds with handloads. If I can gauge the fickle wind here on the Georgia coast right they will print under that.
Like my ole drinking buddy Paul use to say, "the choice is yours, make it light on yourself". Good luck with your decision. JohnnyK.

I have a Sendero 7RM and a 12F 6.5-284.

The 12F isn't exactly the same as the Palma. But, similar.

The Sendero is a far better hunting rifle and plenty fun to shoot long range.

The 12F is fun to shoot long range once you get set up. But, it's not fun to lug around.

If you're mostly hunting, get the Sendero. If you're mostly target shooting, lean towards the Palma.

I don't know if they make a Sendero in 308. So, you may be choosing between apples and oranges regarding cartridges as well.

-- richard

"I don't know if they make a Sendero in 308."

Richard is right in this aspect. Remington does not call their short action (VS SF) rifle(s), in the same configuration, the "Sendero" but for all general purposes it can be considered a SA Sendero. Everything is the same except for action length. JohnnyK.

My buddy didn't get the Palma but bought the 308 Benchrest Model. He has won the last three 300 competitive events with this rifle in custom class. Have seen him shoot one ragged hole at 300 yards on several occasions. The Savage Target Series rifles are designed for high precision target shooting, the Sendaro is designed for hunting.

If I remember right the Savage "Palma" rifle has a throat and chamber setup for the 155 grain Palma bullet from Sierra. In my mind I'd think this would make most of the other 30 caliber bullets a compromise. But on the otherhand the Sierra Palma bullet is a very fine bullet in itself, and lends itself well to long range shooting
gary

Gary is dead on with this one , the palma is setup for 155 sierras or lapuas and has a small firing pin for small rifle primered palma cases. The 12 benchrest or f-class will do you right in either 6br, 6.5x284, or 308. In a nutshell if it says savage and model 12 it will be a lot more accurate than a sendero unless you true the sendero, recrown it, bed it, and put a Jewell trigger in it. Jmo.

Gary is dead on with this one , the palma is setup for 155 sierras or lapuas and has a small firing pin for small rifle primered palma cases. The 12 benchrest or f-class will do you right in either 6br, 6.5x284, or 308. In a nutshell if it says savage and model 12 it will be a lot more accurate than a sendero unless you true the sendero, recrown it, bed it, and put a Jewell trigger in it. Jmo.

just never saw a Sendro shoot with a Savage in my lifetime. I've also heard that Savage will be (or is doing) the 6XC as well. Dies are on the shelf from just about everybody, and it's a very easy cartridge to reload
gary

Gary I think they are planning to add 6xc, 6x47, 6.5creedmoor, 6.5x47, 260, 7mm wsm, and 300wsm to the f-class line up and benchrest.

Gary I think they are planning to add 6xc, 6x47, 6.5creedmoor, 6.5x47, 260, 7mm wsm, and 300wsm to the f-class line up and benchrest.

which 6.5x47 case? There are two different 6.5x47's. One is off the .300 Savage case, and is pretty popular in 600 yard shooting, and the other is off the .284 case but shortened quite a bit, The 6.5 off the Savage case is very accurate and seems to be easy to develop loads for, but have heard that the other can be tempermental at times and seems to have a bad rap about case life. I'd like to see them try the 30AR, and put their name on something like the 6BG (basicly an improved 6XC case with a 30 degree shoulder .039" longer). It headspaces off a .300 savage gauge.

Right now I kinda have the wants for a .308 Palma rifle, and a 40-65 1000 yard BPMC target rifle (a Sharps or a Hi Wall)
gary

Gary it's the 6 and 6.5x47 lapua design also small primer pocket, very accurate.

have never built one, but from the circles I travel in the .47" diameter case is very accurate. Of course the small primer pocket is somewhat of a hassle, but who says you can't form the case from standard .243 brass? Personally I think I'd do the "BG" before I'd do the 6x47. Pretty much like the .243, but with a better neck and a shoulder easier to work with.. Base to shoulder of 1.552 with a 2.04 overall length gives you a .30" neck length. When you deal with a .284 parent case in anything you are at the mercey of the suppliers. Of course a few folks on this board are starting to have some very good luck with the .270WSM necked down to 6.5mm. In the end I'd suspect that a 6.5-06AI might be the better of any of them.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.