Savage Model 12 benchrest

WV Sendero

I have been looking at the Savage Model 12 benchrest in 6.5x284 lately and was wondering what everyone's thoughts on this gun are. I am considering it for a cheaper practice alternative to my Edge and also for a gun that my wife can enjoy long ranging with. Is this a pretty accurate out of the box gun and what should I expect from it? I can get it for right about a $1050 new. Any experiences or opinions are appreciated.

I have the 12 F-Class. It's a very solid factory target rifle.

The weight really soaks up the recoil. But, it's not much to look at or hunt with.

My son has been shooting it for fun since he was 14.

We bought it used and worked up a 3/4 MOA load (20 shot string), quit doing load development, and just started shooting. With not much wind, he's held it to MOA at 940yds on the few opportunities he's had to shoot that far.

Many shooters report better accuracy. And, we've shot some .25" groups at 100yds. I may rebarrel before long and see what it can really do.

-- richard

I also have the 12 f-class, only difference between the 2 is the stock and an inch of barrel, mine has shot .4554 moa or 4.554" 5 shot at 1k. Regularly shoots .2-.4moa at 100yrds.

What are the advantages/diasadvantages of the stock on each gun? I was considering the F class but I have never shot a gun with the F class stock and I'm not sure I would like it.

I don't know if I have the correct answer. But, my opinion is that the wide, flat, straight F-Class butt stock tracks nice and straight. If you've got a proper front rest and rear bag, you can pretty much shoot it free recoil and not worry about muzzle rise.

I would think that would be a concern as well for benchrest shooters. So, I don't know why they put the slope on the bottom of that stock except to give people options.

Some taper is often an advantage in a hunting rifle in that it helps for getting your elevation quickly by sliding the rifle fore or aft on an impromptu rest.

I'd sure be keen to hear other input.

-- richard

The F-Class stock has a straight toe, as previously mentioned. The 'problem' is that its too wide - it tapers from basically the full width of the pistol grip to about 5/8" wide at the butt. Most rear bags, even with extra wide stitches and what not, are about 3/8" to maybe 1/2" wide between the ears. So unless you are willing to pay for an extra-extra wide spaced rear bag, or are okay with the stock riding up a ways on the ears... its somewhat less than idea. Savage kind of went overboard the other way, putting a varmint style tapered toe on the BR stock - but at least it fits most rear bags. TA simple solution would be to get the F-Class stock and do some re-shaping of the stock to narrow up the toe area.

I don't know if I have the correct answer. But, my opinion is that the wide, flat, straight F-Class butt stock tracks nice and straight. If you've got a proper front rest and rear bag, you can pretty much shoot it free recoil and not worry about muzzle rise.

I would think that would be a concern as well for benchrest shooters. So, I don't know why they put the slope on the bottom of that stock except to give people options.

Some taper is often an advantage in a hunting rifle in that it helps for getting your elevation quickly by sliding the rifle fore or aft on an impromptu rest.

I'd sure be keen to hear other input.

-- richard
Makes sense. Based on what you said I may have to give the F class a look because I would say that 95% of the shooting with this gun will be off of front and rear bags on a bench. How would that stock be for prone shooting off of bags?

The F-class butstock rides fine in most rear bags, best with leather and graphite powder, as for the front a nuce adjustable 3 leg rest like hart or a cheaper caldwel with the 3" wide top and a foreend stop to let it free recoil and then just push it back forward about 1/2" to the stop and your back on target.

This is my Savage 12F/TR in .308. The gun shoots fantastic off a bench, with little felt recoil because of the guns weight.

Savage12-FTR-1.jpg

Savage308Target.jpg

The gun favors the Sierra 168 Gr. Matchking and 43.0 Gr. of Varget, but as you can see 180 Gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips and IMR 4064 shoot well also. I think accuracy wise this is one of the best out of the box rifles out there.

This is my Savage 12F/TR in .308. The gun shoots fantastic off a bench, with little felt recoil because of the guns weight.

Savage12-FTR-1.jpg

Savage308Target.jpg

The gun favors the Sierra 168 Gr. Matchking and 43.0 Gr. of Varget, but as you can see 180 Gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips and IMR 4064 shoot well also. I think accuracy wise this is one of the best out of the box rifles out there.

Great looking gun and group. I may have one in my future if I'm lucky.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.