Savage Impulse Mountain Hunter

We picked up a Savage Impulse Hog hunter the end of November. We also have 2 Tikka t3's. One righty in 7rem and one lefty in 270. I really don't get people ragging on Savage's quality. The Tikka mags are primarily plastic, the Savage one is steel. The stock on the Savage is a heck of a lot stiffer than the Tikka too. Savage always looks like a barn door (usually a bit heavy too)- get used to it or don't buy one I guess. The Tikka is a bit prettier, but I don't kill critters by showing them a pretty rifle.
I could probably go on a good bit more, but I'll surmise it all by saying I'm looking at getting another Impulse as my kid's commandeered the one we have. I'm not looking at getting another Tikka.
LOL! A post like this would be blasphemy on some other sites. Tikka is the holiest of holies

The Impulse seems to be getting positive reviews, at least the ones I`ve seen. I fully understand why people post asking for comparisons of different brands of rifles. Just my opinion, but the only ones I think have any merit are from shooter/owners who have experience with BOTH models/brands that might be under consideration. Otherwise, it`s just fans of a particular brand promoting the guns they shoot and often denigrating other brands.
Turkey, not sure if this post was directed at anyone or and post in particular, but I'll follow up on first posting to say that I own multiple Tikkas and love them all. They all shoot very well, and check all the boxes for their particular purpose. I will say also that while Tikka does most of the important things well (weight, accuracy, quality trigger, etc) their stocks are mostly Tupperware unless you get a forester or similar, which I do have as well. I'm sure this is part of what keeps the price point where it is. All that said, the innovations that are locked up and still not fully marketed, or market exploited in the impulse are amazing. I am excited to see what the future holds. Easy on the fly switch barrel, easy on the fly bolt head change, etc. It's really neat for reasons beyond what is normally considered in the 'mountain rifle' realm.

The technical input helps but at the end of day which rifle feels right, fits right? Action smoothness? Stock feel? So how the heck do you do that with rifles so scarce. How do you lay down significant $$$$ without holding it? I know I cannot do that so prob SOL for me.

Turkey, not sure if this post was directed at anyone or and post in particular, but I'll follow up on first posting to say that I own multiple Tikkas and love them all. They all shoot very well, and check all the boxes for their particular purpose. I will say also that while Tikka does most of the important things well (weight, accuracy, quality trigger, etc) their stocks are mostly Tupperware unless you get a forester or similar, which I do have as well. I'm sure this is part of what keeps the price point where it is. All that said, the innovations that are locked up and still not fully marketed, or market exploited in the impulse are amazing. I am excited to see what the future holds. Easy on the fly switch barrel, easy on the fly bolt head change, etc. It's really neat for reasons beyond what is normally considered in the 'mountain rifle' realm.93
No, absolutely NOT directed at anyone, particularly here. To the contrary, I enjoy the gun related posts here very much. There are, however, well known sites that allow personal attacks of other posters, literally using expletives, just because they happen to shoot and favor a different brand of firearm ( ridiculous and childish, IMHO ). I`m no language prude by any means, but I find myself in my old age having little tolerance for those who can`t seem to string a sentence together without the use of derivations of multiple four letter words while belittling others.

AND.....it`s quite obvious to me that Tikka makes a great rifle or they wouldn`t have the following that they do! I personally have very little experience with rifles ( it`s been shotguns for me most of the time ). Only ones I had experience with were 14s and 16s back when working for Uncle Sam. Just recently, last couple of years, have gotten into it with a couple of Savage rifles ( 110 in .223 and 93R17 in 17HMR ) that I have enjoyed VERY much.

Last edited:
LOL! A post like this would be blasphemy on some other sites. Tikka is the holiest of holies

Guys.
Mis-posted this in wrong thread.
My apologies.
Looking for any first-hand input on this rifle. Torn between this and a Tikka T3X. Being a leftie I've narrowed it down to these two. I have several Tikka"s and am very fimiliar with the platform. Cannot find comments on real world experience with the Mountain Hunter. Looking at either 6MM PRC or 300 WSM. If Tikka, the barrel would be subbed out with a carbon wrapped Proof Research.
Any and all input...good or bad is appreciated.
You like what you like. What works, works. I learned long ago to please yourself. Other's opinions are just that. I'm not one of those: You're not wrong if my brand isn't your brand or if you paid hundreds or thousands more than I did.
The scope, the ammo & the rifle can olnly do so much. Ultimately it's all in the skills of the shooter. 🎯

The one downside to the Tikka is that to shoot suppressed, you need to replace the barrel to get more meat for muzzle threads. To keep the weight down, a carbon barrel fits this need nicely but then you also need to either hog out the stock or replace it - total cost to shoot suppressed with Tikka is almost $2,500 but the Savage UL comes ready to rock.
Just use a face mount, index off crown. done a few pencil barrels with thunderbeast cb brakes and they work well only down side is they won't sell the mount so you have to send the barrel in.

You like what you like. What works, works. I learned long ago to please yourself. Other's opinions are just that. I'm not one of those: You're not wrong if my brand isn't your brand or if you paid hundreds or thousands more than I did.
The scope, the ammo & the rifle can olnly do so much. Ultimately it's all in the skills of the shooter. 🎯
Your very last sentence sums up why my groups go to hell in a hand basket sometimes!

Howdy,
I hope I can add something positive to this discussion. I have written in review about Savage rifles and also visited the factory in Finland where Sako/Tikka's are made.
Probably the Savage is one of the most accurate rifles on the market, for the price spent.
The Tikka is so well made and engineered its a little bit like comparing a Corvette to a Ferrari. Both are fine firearms , we are talking levels of sophistication here. Individual models of each rifle may better suit you for your purpose. In that case, take the weapon best engineered for the hunting you wish to pursue.

WW