Savage dbm to blind mag

wolverine99

i have been searching lots of posts everywhere to see if it's possible to convert a savage 111 from a dbm to a blind mag. Some say yes and some say no. Does anyone have ACTUAL experience with this? If so I would love to pick your brain. Thanks!

i have been searching lots of posts everywhere to see if it's possible to convert a savage 111 from a dbm to a blind mag. Some say yes and some say no. Does anyone have ACTUAL experience with this? If so I would love to pick your brain. Thanks!
I converted my model 12 blind mag Into a dbm. I'm not sure why it couldn't go both ways. Just have to get the blind mag parts and a stock for a blind mag.

I am working on the opposite Converting to DBM on an older model 111. I had to remove the material on the rear bottom of the receiver. Where the old blind mag frame fit into. Not sure if yours will be the same.
In the red is where I'm removing the material. There used to be a small slot cut in there for the blind mag that I removed
upload_2018-11-23_19-37-25.jpeg

at one time there was a clip that would hold the mag from your dbm with the bottom removed just the box and follower in to a blind mag stock. you can call savage or northland shooter supply for the parts. northland will be your best bet. I hear he is great to deal with

I am working on the opposite Converting to DBM on an older model 111. I had to remove the material on the rear bottom of the receiver. Where the old blind mag frame fit into. Not sure if yours will be the same.
In the red is where I'm removing the material. There used to be a small slot cut in there for the blind mag that I removed
View attachment 111231
I just checked my action and it doesn't have a slot for the blind mag. I popped off the bottom of the factory mag and can see where that box and follower could be used. Seems like it would be tough to feed the rounds in from the top in the center feed style mag.

the rounds will load pretty easy if you have a two piece scope rail. a one piece rail is a little tougher.

upload_2018-11-24_9-2-59.jpeg

Here it was looking in from the magazine well. The DBM stock was hitting on the area where the blind mag would go. The arrows point to that slot I mentioned earlier. This pic is facing the rear of the receiver

This is the same area from a model 12 with factory DBM
upload_2018-11-24_9-6-9.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-24_9-5-11.png
    upload_2018-11-24_9-5-11.png
    254.8 KB · Views: 154
I converted to a blind mag from dBm. Bought an aftermarket stock for my 111 I rebarreled and did some work to. Feeding sucked horribly. But, the more I shot, the easier it got. I think it started to create a path and filed down the ramp to what it needed to be.

View attachment 111272
Here it was looking in from the magazine well. The DBM stock was hitting on the area where the blind mag would go. The arrows point to that slot I mentioned earlier. This pic is facing the rear of the receiver
Thanks for the tips and pictures! I will take the action out again and look for the grove. Right now I have cdi dbm and the only reason I want to convert to a blind is so I can use the bc stock and dbm currently in this gun for another build. Just being cheap! Ordering another McMillian and just worried about screwing up the blind mag set up. The smart thing would be just have the McMillian inletted for the cdi and be done with it....but no one every accused me of being smart!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.