.338 RUM DBM to use??? Aics or accurate mag?

tacsniper0888

I just ordered the PT&G BDL DBM from Dave out at PT&G that accepts the 3.775 OAL Accurate mag magazine for my Remington 700 long action .338 RUM build I'm working on. Will this work? I've read somewhere that aics mags won't work with ultra mag cases because of the internal ribs. Is this true about the accurate mags or can they both be modified?

I just ordered the PT&G BDL DBM from Dave out at PT&G that accepts the 3.775 OAL Accurate mag magazine for my Remington 700 long action .338 RUM build I'm working on. Will this work? I've read somewhere that aics mags won't work with ultra mag cases because of the internal ribs. Is this true about the accurate mags or can they both be modified?

Here's the deal, i'm running AICS mags with my 338RUM & yes the internal ribs cause issues. The issue is without modification, you can't get more than one round in your magazine.:rolleyes: You have to machine one of the guide ribs out to allow the magazine to acccept the RUM cartridges. Some will tell you to remove both, that is crap. I've put hundreds of rounds through my RUM with ZERO feeding malfunctions with only one of the two ribs removed. This will allow your rifle to function flawlessly without the extra slot feeding more dirt onto your rounds.

Here is an old picture of my RUM, look VERY closely at the mag & you can see how I modded it to function. Some send their mags to a 'smith who used an endmill to remove the dimple. I did it myself in an hour with a dremel.

338 RUM & MK4 M1 (2).jpg

With that being said, I would not suggest you use AI mags for the 338RUM. They are too freaking short @ 3.600" -ish... especially with the 300grainers. It will work, at the expense of powder capacity & pretty much zero room to adjust seating depth.

Hope that helps.

t

Last edited:
I went with PT&G's DBM for the 3.775" OAL mags made by accurate mag. Hopefully this will be plenty long. There is one other option and that's the 3.850" DBM made by accurate mag themselves that uses their mag and the aics mag but you not only have to butcher up your stock but also the bottom of your action!!! So don't wanna go that route!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.