savage btc ss thumbhole?

sniperboy

Hi to all

Can anyone tell me does the savage btc ss thumbhole have a free floating barrel?

Thanks
sniperboy

If you go to savagearms.com you will get your answer. I own two Savages, one is the Mod 12 Low Pro varmint and the other is a Mark II FV in 22lr. Both are very free floating. I've not tried it, but I'm willing to bet I can get a credit card to the barrel nut. They are very open. Both shoot sub MOA if I do my part and have a good load for my heavy rifle. My 22lr shoots PMC very well.

Hi jknepp

I went on the site but it does not mention anything about free floating barrel on the thumb hole model 12. I ve already perchased the rifle and waiting for my permit forms to arrive then i ll check it.

Thanks
sniperboy

Every single Savage that me, my brother, and my dad own is free-floating, so that's where I'd put my money. As a matter of fact, you could almost say they are extremely free-floated. :D

Good luck.

Yes, the btcss is floated all the way to the barrel nut. What caliber did you get? I hope you have it and are shooting it already. If it is anything near mine you will be pleasantly surprised by the accuracy. Mine is in 204 and shoots incredible groups, though dislikes 40gr bullets. Good luck!

If you go to savagearms.com you will get your answer. I own two Savages, one is the Mod 12 Low Pro varmint and the other is a Mark II FV in 22lr. Both are very free floating. I've not tried it, but I'm willing to bet I can get a credit card to the barrel nut. They are very open. Both shoot sub MOA if I do my part and have a good load for my heavy rifle. My 22lr shoots PMC very well.
what caliber is your low pro thinking of getting one

calib77,

It started life as a factory .308 but was reamed to a 300WSM. You can purchase in both calibers. I just wanted something bigger to reach out further for ground hogs with a flatter trajectory. The .308 required to many clicks to get to 1000 to 1100yrds.

Very nice rifle. I have the DBM model. It works well and I am very happy with it over all. I high suggest one. If you want a less expensive the 12FV is deffinately a good trade off. I have shot both.

Happy purchasing,
Tank

liltank,

I just recently fell in love with the .243 caliber with in the last 3-4 weeks. i had never shot one before i picked up one of the cheap stevens model 200 in 243. i got it for 270.oo out the door so i threw a cheap scope on cause i had a coyote contest withing a week and a half to two weeks from then put a box of factory rounds threw it to zero, and get familiar. Then went to my buddies where i reload and made a couple loads up with varget, 85grn. sierra bthp's. i only had enough time to get about 6 sets of 5 made, and shot, and every time i bumped the load up the group got tighter. so for the contest i was shooting 5/8" group ammo for the contest. we tied for first and my two dogs where both three hundred yard shots. where we shoot it gets a bit windy so i realy like being able to push these heavier bulletts fast enough any ways i thought about maybe getting one of those low pro's in 243 and also be able to gain about 350-400 fps just with the barrel length what did you pay for yours

I bought mine wholesale through my dad. He has an FFL, so I get things about 20 to 28% cheaper. Mine was around $660.00. They may have come down that they are not as new and they have some new products out. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one in that caliber if you are interested in it. Out of the box with the right load, I can produce .5 or less at 100yrds.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.