Savage 11 at Cabelas

thumbs

I was in Cabaelas this afternoon looking at some bolt action .223's. Came across a Savage 11 22"heavy barrel varmint rifle. This has a internal box magazine. No mounts no scope and no sights. Can't find it on the Savage site. Can anyone give me any info on this rifle. I don't know the rate of twist or the mag cap or anything about the rifle. It does seem to be what I am looking for though. I would like a detachable mag but not a big deal that way.

Does anyone know anything about this rifle??

thanks

thumbs,
Could not find it on their website but it may just be a "special run" just for Cabela's.

P.S. I've often wondered is it a special run or a total screw up at the factory.

I bought a Savage VLP in Virginia in 2010, it was stamped "Model 12" on the barrel but was indeed a long action in 6.5-284Norma. The gunshop where I purchased it said it was a "special run" and I could not find it anywhere on their website.
Oh well, never look a gift horse in the mouth, right? It is a wonderfully accurate rifle, special run or hickup :)
Good luck. JohnnyK.

Hey thanks for the reply. I called Savage and they told me it is in fact an exclusive to Cabelas's. The made them either to Cabela's specs or offered to make an exclusive for them. Really just a varmint weight 22" barrel on a Savage 11 action with a built in box mag. I really don't know why Savage didn't already make this rifle in the first place. Anyway I picked it up. It's all set and ready to go just need to get another rifle squared away then work on this one. Hope she's a shooter. It really is what I was lookng for but no one made it. We will see. Anyway it normally sold for 569. I saw it then but thought it a bit to much. There are a lot or rifles in that price range. I went on on Tuesday and it was on sale for 499 and I really was thinkin about it but went home to try to find info on it. Wednesday I went back to the Cabela's site to find the rifle. They had it listed for 419 that morning. I called to make sure they had it and ran over and picked it up. For what it is that was a heck of a deal I thought. It's built like a tank. Again hope she shoots.

Was at cabelas today and saw this clearance rifle. The only ones they had were 22-250. I say it looks like a good deal, and if it wont shoot with the plastic stock throw a boyds on there for $100 or less on sale and you should be set to go.

Yeah the only rifle I ever changed stocks on was my sks. Not against it just haven't done it. If I can get one for 100 bucks I'll check it out. Do you have any exp with Boyds? Just wondering what kind of a stock the offer. I guess I surf and see what I can find. Are these drop on stocks?

I was just thinking. I wonder if they even make a stock for this rifle since it is a Cabelas's exclusive.

Here is a pic of my Savage in a Boyd's Classic JRS laminate, and my first 3 shots at 500 yards. The stocks can be drop in fit, but I recommend you go ahead and bed it with pillars like mine.

Attachments

• first shots savage 025.jpg
    first shots savage 025.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 209
  • 500 yd Savage 6.5-284 9.2.13 004.jpg
    500 yd Savage 6.5-284 9.2.13 004.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 172
Beautiful rifle. Wow I can't even see 500 yards!!
I know I can call but does Boyd's make a stock that will bit the Cabela's Prairie Dog? Just wondering if it is an oddball or if in fact just a slight deviation from the norm.

Looks like its just a model 11 blind mag with a varmint contour barrel, any of the short action (4.4" spacing) blind mag stocks with a varmint barrel channel should fit, i think the only custim options for cabelas would have been that plastic stock or shorter 22" barrel.
you may need a trigger guard and new action screws to make the wood stock work.

Thanks. I called Boyd's with little success. I told him I have a Cabela's Prairie Dog with a 22" barrel.. I said it wasn't a sporter barrel and not a bull but didn't know exactly what they called it. Anyway he said only sporter or bull. When I called Savage she told me it was a varmint barrel and at one time mentioned a predator barrel. So in short idono. LOL It is a varmint barrel I just don't know if Boyd's makes a stock for it. I emailed Boyd's with the particulars and hope I hear from them.

I just got this rifle and haven't fired it yet so I don't know if it "needs" a stock or not. The barrel is free floated I checked with a piece of paper. This will be a working rifle. If it shoots I'll leave it alone. If not I hope stocks are available.

Last edited:
About the barrel channel: unless you are horrified at the thought of a large space around the barrel, order the varmint inlet. If you don't like the gap, you can always tape your barrel, then fill in with bedding compound for a custom fit. If you order the factory contour, you may end up doing some sanding inside the channel to ensure free-float. I'd go big, that way after you burn out the original barrel (and you WILL burn it up, because it will be so much fun to shoot) you can put whatever you want on it next time. As for action length, you just need to measure the spacing of your action screws, as there are two different specs in savage shorts depending on date of manufacture.

I have now picked up 2 of these! I called savage and they told me it is the first model predator hunter in black they do not have the accu stock. They are a great gun and worth every penny I paid 399 for mine!!!

First time I had the new rifle out. She sure does shoot. Not sure about 500 yards though.LOL Anyway well under moa using three different loads. Doesn't seem to be very particular as to what she eats. I think I'll just keep her the way she is. Not sure anything will make er shoot much better. She seems to shoot better than I anyway. LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.