17 remington savage

Hey all, I just threw together a 17 remington on a savage axis ll action with a shilen select match 22" barrel and boyds prairie hunter stock. I cannot for the life of me get the thing to feed from the magazine properly. I ve seen countless people say "oh yeah its a done deal coming from a 223." Yet I havent seen one work yet. I have messed with the feed lips on the mag endlessly and the most Ive gotten is random feeds on the second to last round. It extracts and ejects like a dream but absolutely will not feed. Ive considered switching the barrel to a model 11 short action with aics mag conversion but I dont know if that would work any better. Im not opposed to sending it to a smith that could make it work if I could get a garuntee that it would feed as a repeater. Im not sure why but the barrel cost me $470 and I really dont want to eat that.
I know this is an older post but I'm having the exact trouble on a .17 Remington I just built on an axis 2 .Did you figure anything out?

Interesting, I'm curios to learn the diagnostic process that lead to the chamfer cut. If it works, could be a cool write up for future reference.

Hey all, I just threw together a 17 remington on a savage axis ll action with a shilen select match 22" barrel and boyds prairie hunter stock. I cannot for the life of me get the thing to feed from the magazine properly. I ve seen countless people say "oh yeah its a done deal coming from a 223." Yet I havent seen one work yet. I have messed with the feed lips on the mag endlessly and the most Ive gotten is random feeds on the second to last round. It extracts and ejects like a dream but absolutely will not feed. Ive considered switching the barrel to a model 11 short action with aics mag conversion but I dont know if that would work any better. Im not opposed to sending it to a smith that could make it work if I could get a garuntee that it would feed as a repeater. Im not sure why but the barrel cost me $470 and I really dont want to eat that.
I HAD a Savage .17 HMR A-17 Semi Auto. I had the same problem, if I tried to shoot Hollow Points. On a OEM Mag 5 shot it jams or will not feed every other one. On a 10 round mag it will not even feed one. Using the VNT, or V-Max they work fine. It came with Synthetic stock which I replaced with Thumbhole. I called Savage and they told me they were aware of the problem, but offered no fix in the works. I told them I have 4 ten round mags to Prairie Dog shoot and sometimes the 5 round would work. They offered me two more 5 rounds to try to make me happy. (still not happy)
With the Savage A-17 Semi Auto and a Boyd thumbhole stock, was a piece of junk. Out of the box nothing but problems. Sent it to Savage for warranty. had it over 6 weeks. Got it back and was worse. Sent it back. Yet another 6+ weeks. came back with another Boyd stock and sent my thumbhold stock. Now,the aftermarket mags will not lock into place. The trigger action would wobble back and forth. They tried to blame Boyd stock and they won't work on aftermarket items. but yet they sent it back with another style aftermarket stock. I called Boyd and told them that Savage said it was the stock and they refunded my money. And if I remember right, they paid shipping back.
I traded it off for a boat, Bought a CZ 457 Varmint and love it. Shooting P Dogs at 235 yards. Will never buy another Savage!

I HAD a Savage .17 HMR A-17 Semi Auto. I had the same problem, if I tried to shoot Hollow Points. On a OEM Mag 5 shot it jams or will not feed every other one. On a 10 round mag it will not even feed one. Using the VNT, or V-Max they work fine. It came with Synthetic stock which I replaced with Thumbhole. I called Savage and they told me they were aware of the problem, but offered no fix in the works. I told them I have 4 ten round mags to Prairie Dog shoot and sometimes the 5 round would work. They offered me two more 5 rounds to try to make me happy. (still not happy)
With the Savage A-17 Semi Auto and a Boyd thumbhole stock, was a piece of junk. Out of the box nothing but problems. Sent it to Savage for warranty. had it over 6 weeks. Got it back and was worse. Sent it back. Yet another 6+ weeks. came back with another Boyd stock and sent my thumbhold stock. Now,the aftermarket mags will not lock into place. The trigger action would wobble back and forth. They tried to blame Boyd stock and they won't work on aftermarket items. but yet they sent it back with another style aftermarket stock. I called Boyd and told them that Savage said it was the stock and they refunded my money. And if I remember right, they paid shipping back.
I traded it off for a boat, Bought a CZ 457 Varmint and love it. Shooting P Dogs at 235 yards. Will never buy another Savage!
AL- l had feeding issues with my first Savage last year. A17HMR. Twas a real dog too, WITH fleas. Sold/gave it to my Son. He thinks its cool in Stainless with laminated thumbhole stock. He won't shoot it. Just looks at it. I too cured my Savage problem with a CZ457 Varmint in walnut from Midway. l then stumbled upon an MTR CZ457 22LR. With SKS SV Standard ammo in my MTR l can bang away on a 3'' swinger @200yds with ease. A CZ will cure all your 'Savage Ills'

Last edited:
I don't need to be harsh, but what does lamenting over budget Rimfire rifles have to do with getting a 17 Remington to feed in a Centerfire action. I get it you bought some cheap guns and they didn't really work, what's that got to do with helping this guy get his ceterfire rifle to feed... other than "cool story bro".

CZ dropped the 527 that chambered the 17 Remington and 17 hornet, othe than extortionate gb examples the budget savage with custom barrel is still a viable option for a 17 Remington assuming they can get them to feed. Probably going to figure out a way to do it before CZ ever gets the 600 up and running without failures and recals.... never mind how long it will be to see another factory 17 Remington.

Kinda, I mean assuming you happen to be high bidder on the rare window where a now several year discontinued 17 remington 527 happens to pop up on gun broker. But it doesn't really answer the question what to do with a savage action and a barrel already owned.

The cz was originally a poor man's kimber, which was never as refined on fit and finish as the coopers, that in turn were like a basic Dakota.... so I recommend the Dakota in 17 remington. Solving problems left and right, all it takes is someone else's money.. I should run for congress.

To the op, when it gets back I'd be curios how much chamfer is needed.

Last edited:
I wish I never would have traded my 527 17 Rem. Worst gun choice Ive ever made bar non. The owner of sharp shooter supply is generally regarded as THE savage guru. I talked to him briefly on a savage forum where he claimed hes done dozens of 17 Rem savages and a chamfer was the answer. I would have just sent it to him however he has the worst reputation Ive seen as far as business and turn around. Took me quite some time to find another Smith to do it as every one I talked to in my area only wished to deal with Rem 700s or high dollar prs style rifles. Hopefully I will be able to make it work after. This Smith suggested anywhere between 40 and 60 degrees. Ive seen 45 is very popular and I saw one that Speedy from Colorado school of trades did that was spherical. It looks like a lot of time went into that one. When you say 17 rem, most people think you are talking about a 17hmr because they aren't aware the center fire exists.

My CZ 527 17 Remington would not feed from the mag that came with the rifle. But it would feed fire with my 223 mag.
I just put together an AR upper in 17 Remington because I just can't justify threading the barrel on the 527.
The AR feeds just fine and I am thinking about building another one with an 18 inch barrel for the really long hikes

It doesn't take much. All that is needed is to break the corner edge. A lot of folks think a funnel is needed.
Put the hate on the Savages. Anytime a modification is done, even a straight up barrel swap there may need to be a slight bit of tuning.
I must be the only one on the other planet that sold my 527's and have never missed them. 17HH, 17 Remington, 22Hornet,204,223 not a one of them ever fed what I would call smooth.
Howa minis are the answer to my wants on a small action. My 222 I still open the bolt to check if it picked up a round, it is slick as butter.

Ah so you had a 527 in 17 already and swapped it off... in the immortal words of ET... OUCH.

If thrown on a 10/110 is the chamfer still needed? Or is it an axis/edge problem?

Sss, there is a name from the past. Savage world is an odd one, not positive if stockade or sss had a worse bbb rating. Both very competent, but had a business acumen not usually seen in the free market....

It's getting tough to find a smith that will mess with something not a 700 or clone. I've never messed with a non factory 17 or 204, bullet selection being what it is most I've done is trigger work and a stock swap. Given how hard it's getting to find a 17 rem, 204 figuring out a good donor is not a bad thing.