17 remington savage

Flatlandcoaxer86

Hey all, I just threw together a 17 remington on a savage axis ll action with a shilen select match 22" barrel and boyds prairie hunter stock. I cannot for the life of me get the thing to feed from the magazine properly. I ve seen countless people say "oh yeah its a done deal coming from a 223." Yet I havent seen one work yet. I have messed with the feed lips on the mag endlessly and the most Ive gotten is random feeds on the second to last round. It extracts and ejects like a dream but absolutely will not feed. Ive considered switching the barrel to a model 11 short action with aics mag conversion but I dont know if that would work any better. Im not opposed to sending it to a smith that could make it work if I could get a garuntee that it would feed as a repeater. Im not sure why but the barrel cost me $470 and I really dont want to eat that.

Center feed I imagine. I pretty much hate them myself.
That is why I will stick with the stagger feed, feeds fine and I can just toss another on top of the follower and it eats it.

Hey all, I just threw together a 17 remington on a savage axis ll action with a shilen select match 22" barrel and boyds prairie hunter stock. I cannot for the life of me get the thing to feed from the magazine properly. I ve seen countless people say "oh yeah its a done deal coming from a 223." Yet I havent seen one work yet. I have messed with the feed lips on the mag endlessly and the most Ive gotten is random feeds on the second to last round. It extracts and ejects like a dream but absolutely will not feed. Ive considered switching the barrel to a model 11 short action with aics mag conversion but I dont know if that would work any better. Im not opposed to sending it to a smith that could make it work if I could get a garuntee that it would feed as a repeater. Im not sure why but the barrel cost me $470 and I really dont want to eat that.
If you close to Springfield, Mo I would like to look at it

Garry J, Are you a gunsmith?
Not a license gun smith but sometimes the license don't mean anything. Anybody can apply for a gunsmith license. I've got a buddy that continuously buys his junk at the gun shows and I've been successful to work every one of his guns over and make them shoot the way they're supposed to. I don't do this for a living just as a hobby. I like to mess with guns. I have a friend in Illinois that's a gunsmith and I've repaired several breached primer damage to the bolt face for him in the past. The rifle you have got I believe they had two different magazines they had made for that rifle an earlier one was a little flimsy and they came out with one later it was a lot sturdy your magazine and fit the magazine pocket in the rifle better. Just changing the magazine maybe the solve to your problem. This is the picture of a later magazine out of my 6.5 Creedmoor

Attachments

• 16534283293721600457529.jpg
    16534283293721600457529.jpg
    1,008 KB · Views: 124
  • 16534283678931995266383.jpg
    16534283678931995266383.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 129
I bought six new magazines for my Kimber 22 and none of them would feed ammunition. The follower in the magazines had never been bent to tip the shell. Just bent them like my original magazine and they work fine. Some magazines are finicky in the the way the spring is put under the follower.

If you live close to Springfield I'd like to take a look at it I don't charge anything it's not a business. Just don't let someone start whittling on your gun. A feeding problem is usually something very simple so obvious you overlook it. I fought with a Smith & Wesson pistol I had for quite some time and finally run my finger at the feed ramp and felt a small blemish in the middle three Strokes with a stone and it ran perfect after that never have had any more problems

Gary J sounds like that Smith & Wesson pistol was out of the bunch I had to deal with 1 time. The last 15 years as a Wildlife Officer, I was head Firearms Instructor and Armor for our district, 21 officers.
The supply officer delivered us new guns to the range, Officers turned in old pistols and he issued the new pistols and the supply officer went back to the capitol.

After some cleaning tear down and handling training, The range went hot, Every pistol was having feeding problems, Including my pistol. All the magazines had rough shear marks where the lips on the magazines were pressed out. I found the problem and had to stone and polish the lips on each officers 3 magazines for a total of 63 magazines. Was a rough day at the range.

Gary J sounds like that Smith & Wesson pistol was out of the bunch I had to deal with 1 time. The last 15 years as a Wildlife Officer, I was head Firearms Instructor and Armor for our district, 21 officers.
The supply officer delivered us new guns to the range, Officers turned in old pistols and he issued the new pistols and the supply officer went back to the capitol.

After some cleaning tear down and handling training, The range went hot, Every pistol was having feeding problems, Including my pistol. All the magazines had rough shear marks where the lips on the magazines were pressed out. I found the problem and had to stone and polish the lips on each officers 3 magazines for a total of 63 magazines. Was a rough day at the range.
I'm also a volunteer Firearms instructor at Missouri conservation department at Andy Dalton range close to Springfield. I get my share of time working on guns that malfunction while we're shooting. Luckily we have enough guns to just trade them out so we can work on them at a later time. Will have 50 kids out to shoot and after shooting on three ranges maybe only using one gun on each range and kid gets to shoot about 25 rounds. Some people think of bore snake down the barrel and the gun is clean. Those malfunctions are the need of better cleaning. Sometimes feeding problem in a handgun are man induced. Guy bought a Beretta over the other day and said that he was having feeding problems Within, a new gun. I hand-fed ammunition through it and it fed perfect so I took him to the range and we shot it a little bit the rounds were not pushing the slide all the way back to properly feed ammo. One question 2 him have you done anything to this like change Parts in it. His reply was yes I put a heavier springs in the slide I got some rounds with heavier bullet than 115 and they fed perfect. Told him to buy heavier rounds or put the original Springs back in it. Problem solved. My wife's Walter did not like 115 grain bullets when new. 200 rounds of heavier ammo and now it runs fine. I hope you get to do instructions with young people and get them interested in shooting

Recent Posts