savage box mods rum

mopar440

i was looking for advise on what needs to be done to get a rum to feed in a new stevens 200 7 mag i know its probly been ask a hundred times but i could find much thanks chad

Is it a new centerfeed?

If so, I believe that Earl Fouraker used an old RUM or H&H sized stagger feed mag box with the tabs and ends cut off.

I think he was able to seat longer than 3.9"

Do a search for him and look up what he did for his 7mmRUM.

i did find this old post

Monte,

I put the rifle together completely myself. It's about the 10th savage I've done. I did do a 30" pac-nor barreled 338 edge last year that was a real shooter also. I regretfully sold it but soon replaced it with this 7 rum. I know that the 7 rum doesn't create as much energy down range as the 338 edge, But after shooting both I like the 7mm more. It really is a smooth combination. The US869 and the 180's really put up some good numbers in my rifle. The action was one of the newer centerfeed model 111 with a DBM. I had to be real creative to make a 3.875" cartridge feed through this rifle. First thing I had to do is get rid of the DBM. The stock Box will only take about 3.5" cartridge. I replaced it with one of the old style 375 H&H boxes and dremeled out the back of the box leaving a lip on both sides to retain the follower. The lips on each end of the maazine where it connects to the action was also removed and the box was glued into the stock to look like one of the newer center feeds. It now acts like a centerfeed again and will hold 3 rounds and functions smooth as silk. It could not have turned out any better.

Thanks for all the good comments!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.