Savage Blind Mag

ofdscooby

I have a flat back 116 stagger feed that is basically a complete build but I wanted to keep it a blind mag. It has the factory mag box attached and it sucks. I've never put a measurement to it but if I were able to use something more like the center feed box like on the accu-triggers I could get a bunch more COAL out of it. Does any one know how to get more COAL out of a savage stagger feed. The gun is a 7mm mag sitting in a Stockade Woodchuck

A few years back I built a 7 STW on a Stevens 200. It started life as a 300 Win Mag, staggered feed, blind mag box. I'm thinking the box was about 3.4". I ended up milling the rear of the mag box opening and cutting and welding the factory box to a bit over 3.8". The bolt stop also had to be shortened to allow the bolt to travel farther to the rear. Care needs to be taken as the bolt stop also acts as the sear, holding the fireing pin back until the trigger releases it. If you get carried away lengthing the box/shortening the bolt stop you will end up with the firing pin following down as you close the bolt.
Good luck with your project.

If you are going to "long stroke" a savage, don't mess with the sear. Grind the rear face of the bolt baffle's right side instead. This way you aren't taking any chance at all with function or safety. Savage makes at least two types of this piece, one looks almost symmetrical, the other has a longer side for use in short actions that are chambered in very short (.223 as an example) cartridges.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts