Savage BAS action lapping?

Digger49er

I just aquired one of the new Savage BAS rifles. The whole thing is coated with a black power or oxide coating. The problem is the inside of the action along the bolt races is also coated. This is causing the bolt to bind slightly. I was thinking of putting a little lapping compound on the bolt to polish is up a bit and make it smoother. At the same time I don't want to cause any undue wear on the bolt lugs. Has anyone got an opinion on this?

Any time you lap 2 surfaces, you are removing metal and theoretically the parts won't last as long. But in reality, you are removing such a minute amount, the parts will still last hundreds of thousands of cycles. So, I would lap it. The main thing to do is disassembly of action first and thorough cleaning of all lapping compounds when finished.

Your talking binding when pushing the bolt forwards and pulling it out right? If you apply compound to the front baffle and work the bolt for and aft, it will smoothen out BUT you may also expose steel to the elements. I would oil it up good and work it back and forth, without the mag. This will obviously make the rifle look used as the bolt finish will wear a bit in spots but I'm sure it will help considerably. If that doesn't work well enough you can lap it.

Where did you get it? Any pics?

opps, just noticed the original post date. Probably worked out by now.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts